68RFE fluid level?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Terry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So I am trying to figure out the consensus on the correct level of ATF in the trans. I can't even come to a solution for how to check the level because the manual says one thing and the info on the dipstick says something completely different, so figuring out what level to run the fluid at is equally perplexing.

Thus far I've had the dealer do all maintenance on my truck so aside from checking the oil, I haven't done squat. I'm preparing to pull my trailer cross country though, so doing a little bit more on the pm side to prepare.

The manual says if trans fluid is cold, it should be between the cold holes. If trans is at operating temps, it should be between the hot holes. Manual also says operating temp is between 170-180; mine never gets that hot unless I'm towing, so I got it up to about 155, and it was a bit below the halfway point.

My truck is an 18, my buddy with a 17 checked his and his was in the same place as mine.

All that said, I'm a bit concerned that I can't find documentation that says it's OK being at the halfway point on the dipstick. Neither one of us has had any trans service done, our trucks are different models and years, bought from different dealers... Safe assumption that with them both being at the same level, this was intentional from the factory.

Would my fluid getting 20 degrees hotter really expand it that much as to rise a full inch on the dipstick? I have no problem buying a quart of ATF and filling it more, but don't want to run the risk of overfilling at a sub-operational temp only to have it be overfilled, and find that out the hard way as I'm climbing mountains with 12000 pounds behind me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
Big Terry

Big Terry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Man, no one has anything for this? I'm surprised.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yes the trans oil goes up or down alot depending on temp. me personally all i care about is if its at the full mark at 170f. get it to 170 and put it to full then forget about it

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Mine gets up to 170 and bounces between 168-170 with normal driving. It takes about 30 minutes of driving to get up to temp. Don't know why yours won't get that hot? You didn't remove the transmission thermostat valve did you? (It's a mod that some people do).
When I check mine at 170 the level is right where it is supposed to be. I never use the cold marks.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
If you want to get your trans temp hot, drive around until it gets up to the max temp it normally gets and then let it sit and idle in park for about 5-10 minutes. The lack of air going over the cooler should get it up to 170F. However, there is not likely to be a noticeable difference in fluid level between 150F and 170F.