8.4a to 8.4an

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
No the trial Sirius doesn't transfer radios

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Just ordered one. $425 shipped.

Tried to get one from LKQ in Michigan but got terrible service. I was literally hung up on three times, all on purpose. Screw them, I'll take my money elsewhere.

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
If the 8.4ra4 you swap in still has free trial then you are good right?

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi

I have no idea. That's a good question though.

****, at the normal prices, that's like $900 value in subscriptions.

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
I sold my 5.0 to a member here and that Sirius trial will still be active til Nov. It shows up on my Sirius account online.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Well, here's to hoping this unit still has the subscription!

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yes, and if it doesn't have the subscription you can transfer it for free or $15. When I put in an RA3 they did it for free, when I put in the RA4 IT cost me $15. I think if you tell them the last one was defective it is free and if you tell them you upgraded radios it costs...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
They wouldn't let me transfer the trial from my 5.0 to my 8.4. But I had a lifetime subscription I wanted to transfer anyways. I bet if you said it was defective they would let you transfer

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Got my RA4 in yesterday. Still need to install it.

Did you guys just take it to the dealer and tell them to add the RA4 to the VIN as a dealer option or what?

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So this is literally a plug and play swap? Like no dealer trip required??

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
So this is literally a plug and play swap? Like no dealer trip required??

All depends on the dealer. You'll need a unlock code for the replacement radio. I was able to call and give them the serial number and a minute later had the code. Or there are online places that charge like $10 for one

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got my RA4 in yesterday. Still need to install it.

Did you guys just take it to the dealer and tell them to add the RA4 to the VIN as a dealer option or what?
Correct me if I wrong, but with an upgrade I think you need the radios original VIN to update the firmware on the uConnect site. In addition you need an unlock code to verify that the radio has not been stolen. You can get one from the dealer or online. I forgot the website off hand.....

http://navrepair.com/collections/programming-and-unlocking

Stick on the website for a few minutes and sometimes a $10 discount code pops up for the unlock code.

Last edited:

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Nope. No need if you had the ra2 or ra3. You just need a security unlock code either from the dealer or a website twill sellout to you for 10-20 bucks

You just need the Vin from any 8.4 ra4 ram. Not 5he donor Vin. I went to a dealership online and used a Vin out of a Laramie with nav and updated the software

Last edited:

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
The one hiccup you will have is getting useless connect to recode your vin to the new radio, so you can have uconnect access. In many cases when you unlock the new radio you will loose all the via mobile stuff (Pandora, slacker etc.) You will also not be able to use any of the other uconnect stuff such as wi-fi, the uconnect store or uconnect remote lock, unlock start etc.

If you do not use or care about any of this no biggie, but if you do as I said you will need to contact uconnect and get them to update your account with the serial number for the replacement radio.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Okay, cool. I have the VIN from the donor vehicle, so I should be good to install it now and then update everything. Thanks!

eagle11401

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED 3.0
For those of you that have done the swap, does it add the "controls" icon/menu if you don't have any of those features and the original truck did?

Does your "climate" menu populate to what your truck has or does it default to what the donor truck had?

My truck doesn't have dual climate control or heated/vent seats or any of that and I'm not sure if the head unit looks and adjusts the menus based on the truck it's in or the VIN it has stored.

Anyone know how this works?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
For those of you that have done the swap, does it add the "controls" icon/menu if you don't have any of those features and the original truck did?

Does your "climate" menu populate to what your truck has or does it default to what the donor truck had?

My truck doesn't have dual climate control or heated/vent seats or any of that and I'm not sure if the head unit looks and adjusts the menus based on the truck it's in or the VIN it has stored.

Anyone know how this works?
It changes to the setup of the vehicle it is installed in.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I just finished mine and it added the "Controls" and the "Navigation" icons. It didn't add anything the truck didn't have though. Even my settings were all the same, which was amazing to me!