8 Speed Transmission Rebuild Cost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CaptOchs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When the transmission went on my Charger, I carefully weighted my options. In the end I went with a junkyard transmission that had 40k on it (compared to the 120k the car had.) The cost was so much lower I could replace it again with another junk yard tranny and still be under the price of a one rebuilt transmission. It still came with a 1 year warranty. I did buy a new torque converter and I also used QuantumBlue oil. The QuantumBlue helped smooth out the shifting noticeably. It never shifted that well (even at 20k.) The other logic behind going with junkyard was that "the transmission had never failed, ever. It was 100% OEM." When you rebuild your own or buy a rebuilt one you have a transmission that has failed, but was repaired. The chance of it failing again depends on quality of materials and workmanship of whoever rebuilt it.

There are only three options:
1) Junkyard transmission (most likely from a wreck.)
2) Rebuilt transmission (a rebuild of your transmission or another transmission of same type.)
3) Remanufactured transmission (One step further than rebuild, total restoration back to OEM spec. Some claim to make improvements on OEM design to reduce chance of future failure.)

Rebuilt / remanufactured are different, so know the differences because remanufactured certainly costs more.

Hope this helps.

Rader

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Diesel
I have a 2014 Ram 1500 with the 8 speed transmission. I got quoted but Im at disbelief with the costs. I wanted to hear numbers first but from people who have actually had it done. Real numbers please. This shop was referred to me by a friend but im not too sure about the price. Obviously a rebuild is not always the same price but what is a price you wouldn’t pay. Thanks guys

I had to replace the Transmission in my 2500, I picked a low mileage one up at a JY for a fraction of what the dealer wanted then paid a transmission shop just over $200 to install it.

There is 45 + pages of 8 speeds just for 5.7s on Car-Part.com, some with low miles are priced under $400.00 some around $200.00. The reason for the low price is they are so reliable the JY inventory is swamped because demand is very low.

https://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/se...18512&userUID=0&userBroker=&iKey=&userPage=46

Last edited:

rainmkr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks like a lot of good options here. I had my 2014 8spd replaced under warranty with less than 10k miles and the dealer receipt shows over 9k in parts and labor. I bought the truck new in spring '14 and have 53k miles on it now. I'd like to keep it awhile, but was concerned that the eventual trans replacement was going to be more than a new 5.7L. I appreciate everyone contributing.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
Remove and replace is $450 - $600 depending on driveline (2 or 4wd).
Few shops will warranty if you install yourself, but many will work on units removed by customers.

Depending on mileage and circumstance it's worth reaching out to FCA and request good will warranty. While you're out of the 5 year power train warranty they may provide some assistance.

Black_Nite

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
By any chance have you’ll replace the rear bushing of it? Got a built driveshaft for it and it vibrates so I check it out and the flange has play it moves a bit but I heard it’s not to move at all....any ideas why it moves or has a bit of play on it?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
By any chance have you’ll replace the rear bushing of it? Got a built driveshaft for it and it vibrates so I check it out and the flange has play it moves a bit but I heard it’s not to move at all....any ideas why it moves or has a bit of play on it?

There's rebuild video's on Youtube for the 8 speed,they'll be your best friend.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Start with this guys video's he's got a couple on the 8 speed.

ZF8HP70 Teardown - YouTube

Black_Nite

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea I checked the video out but it’s a baring they didn’t show it and I can’t find the replacement one for it

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yea I checked the video out but it’s a baring they didn’t show it and I can’t find the replacement one for it

Start digging then,if it's a replaceble bushing,somebody will have a video on it. It might not be a servicable part either if nobody carries a replacement bushing,it should be servicable though.There's a few video's on tearing down the 8 speed floating around now,you might have to watch a few to find out the info you're looking for

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you sure it's new? Typically there is no core on new parts, just rebuilt parts because they take your core, rebuild it, then sell that one.
i'd be really surprised if it was a brand new unit and not a factory rebuild of some sort.I know you couldn't buy a new trans from GM when I worked there.Best you could do was a rebuild from their SRTA remanufacturing program.Had a really good warr. but not a new unit.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
i'd be really surprised if it was a brand new unit and not a factory rebuild of some sort.I know you couldn't buy a new trans from GM when I worked there.Best you could do was a rebuild from their SRTA remanufacturing program.Had a really good warr. but not a new unit.

You can buy a new ZF 8 speed,it comes right from ZF themselves,the dealer/FCA also sells a rebuilt version of the 8 speed.Both require your old transmission as a core. The new one is definitely a brand new transmission,not a rebuilt,i bought the rebuilt version first,and ended up sending it back,as i wasn't pleased with the way it looked for being a factory reman tranny,then waited another couple weeks to get a brand new one from Germany