8 speed transmission operation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DickLowman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Recently while hunting I was descending an 8-mile 9 percent grade on a gravel road with continuous tight turns. Truck is 2022 Tradesman 2500, 6.4 hemi, 8 speed trans, towing 2000 pounds. I set electronic range select to 2-1 to save brakes. Going 10 - 20 mph, tach ranged between 2 and 3,000. When back on pavement with ERS reset to D, the transmission was not normal, often delaying up shift and downshifting at inappropriate times. As example, when towing 7000 pound trailer (in tow-haul) accelerating slowly from start on flat ground tach would hit 4000 before shift. Dealer found no problems but did some kind of reset that has worked. I'm guessing tranny "learned new driving pattern", but failed to unlearn. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions on how to avoid in future when on challenging downgrade?

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Not much you can do other than drive the snot out of it while unloaded so the keep alive memory goes back to a normal state.

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wonder if stopping and turning off the truck for a few minutes every couple miles would help?

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I use my ERS all the time and have never had an issue with it not going back to normal afterward. But then I activate my ERS every single time I get in the truck, and although I usually keep it in 8th gear and just let it do it's thing there have been a number of times I have limited the gears for a period of time and never had a problem.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
As example, when towing 7000 pound trailer (in tow-haul) accelerating slowly from start on flat ground tach would hit 4000 before shift.
The Tow/Haul is supposed raise the shift points to push the engine further into the torque band, peak torque of the 6.4L is 429 ft/lbs at 4K rpms. If you were expecting to tow at 2K rpms, you should have bought a diesel. Even the SO Cummins makes more torque just above idle than the 6.4 Hemi does at it's peak. Torque is what pulls a trailer, not horsepower. This "complaint" is sorta common with people not accustomed to towing with a gas engine (or towing in general). Too low of rpms can cause the engine to lug which is a lot worse than turning a few extra rpms. The ZF transmissions are smarter than most when it comes to knowing what gear it should be in.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat