95 ram 1500 with the 5.9

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jboogsram

Reaction score
Ram Year
1995 1500
Engine
5.9l v8 magnum
i just got this truck and i like it alot but its rough and when i am driving it, it likes to shift super hard (auto trans) and im not sure why all i know is the guy before me used it to plow snow with it so im thinkin it wasnt good on it really and i want to restore the whole truck for a very sentimental reason so any help with it would be great and for some reason he unhooked the o2 sensor wires and i cant find the plug from the main harness lol awsome i know thanks again

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Welcome!!!

Well sounds like since he plowed snow the previous owner may have built up the trans making for the firmer shifting. That may not be a bad thing. You could always take it to a trans shop and have them look it over for some $$$. But if it's slipping then I would say it has a problem. Otherwise I personally wouldn't worry about it. But if there is any remainder of the harness you could possible reconnect the O2 sensors.

OP
OP
J

jboogsram

Reaction score
Ram Year
1995 1500
Engine
5.9l v8 magnum
Welcome!!!

Well sounds like since he plowed snow the previous owner may have built up the trans making for the firmer shifting. That may not be a bad thing. You could always take it to a trans shop and have them look it over for some $$$. But if it's slipping then I would say it has a problem. Otherwise I personally wouldn't worry about it. But if there is any remainder of the harness you could possible reconnect the O2 sensors.

well if i could find any of ithe harness i would like to but im not sure where to even look for it i checked around the frame rails and by the back of the motor and nothin any idea's ???

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
on the tranny, is it delayed shifting? does it skip or jump gears? or is it just hard shifting? if its just hard, he might have had it built, if its shifting odd, than it may very well be a problem. pop your inspection cover, see if you can tell if someone has been in there by looking in there...

OP
OP
J

jboogsram

Reaction score
Ram Year
1995 1500
Engine
5.9l v8 magnum
it takes forever to shift the 1st 2 gears but the last 2 arent bad and it is leaking a bit too around the transfercase

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
well, i know on the 47re (you have a 46re) there are a couple solenoids in the tranny that can cause this issue. happened to me. pretty much the same story, replaced them and it has been working perfectly since. i forget which ones they are, but i know there is a thread about them somewhere around here.....

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
well, i know on the 47re (you have a 46re) there are a couple solenoids in the tranny that can cause this issue. happened to me. pretty much the same story, replaced them and it has been working perfectly since. i forget which ones they are, but i know there is a thread about them somewhere around here.....

Actually, his ram has a 46RH tranny, which is shifted hydraulicly not electricly. I'm confused because the OP states he has firm shifts...but they're also late?

It is possible to have installed a shift kit that gives a firmer shift, but I suspect that his TV cable needs adjusted.
You can google how to do this and theres a dakota forum with a pictorial explanation. Once the cable is reseet the shifts should happen sooner and with lass authority.

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
/\/\/\/\/\
didn't see the year, or else i would've made that connection. good catch! my bad for not looking closely enough

@OP yeah, i'm the same way. really good about diagnosing too. when i had mine done i got in town from one project, heading out to another project the next day, so i dropped it at a local tranny shop i trust, only cost like $2-300 or so and it came with a full tranny flush. figured i didn't have time to do it, aint to bad of price, and its professional.

remember, automatic transmissions work off magic and want to kill you. only trust them as far as you can throw them.

Last edited:

rambob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
i would start with a fluid change. maybe adjust the bands and see what it looks like in there. or take it to a shop you can trust and get those things done and see if he thinks it has been upgraded.

I agree it sounds like some added items for firm shifting.

Nikolai553

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
I had car with similar tranny problems when I first bought it. Turns out the previous owner never changed out the tranny fluid. There was enough to help the gears but not enough to be constant. (I sold the car a year after words though)

Now on the other hand I have an explorer that leaks tranny fluid like a water fountain, and because getting the darn seal replaced would be $400. I just feed it pure lucas trans slip and it works fine for me. lol (not recommended by the way)

OP
OP
J

jboogsram

Reaction score
Ram Year
1995 1500
Engine
5.9l v8 magnum
I had car with similar tranny problems when I first bought it. Turns out the previous owner never changed out the tranny fluid. There was enough to help the gears but not enough to be constant. (I sold the car a year after words though)

Now on the other hand I have an explorer that leaks tranny fluid like a water fountain, and because getting the darn seal replaced would be $400. I just feed it pure lucas trans slip and it works fine for me. lol (not recommended by the way)

well i put some lucas in it and it seemed to help some but it still winds up alot of rpms before it will shift when i am lighly accelerating but if i stomp on it it shifts like it should just rough is all