96 ram 1500 Ebrake and brake lite on in dash obdii code p1762

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NStruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
96 ram 1500 possable trans problem Ebrake and brake lite on in dash obdii code p1762

good morning
so i have a 96 ram 318 4x4 automatic trans short box 3 inch lift 126,000 kms on it , at around 70 km/hr the ebrake and brake light warning light comes on .

at first i thought it was the speed sensor , which i replaced but still kept getting the same warning indicator at the same speed .

I ordered a cheap obdii bluetoth code reader off ebay and downloaded torque ( the free version ) to my cell phone . the reader arrived yesterday , when i hooked it up last night i and searched for error codes and i got code p1762.

a google search gave me the following info :
P1762 Dodge - Governor Pressure Sensor Offset Voltage Too High or Low
Possible causes
- Internal transmission failure
- Governor Pressure Sensor harness open or shorted
- Governor Pressure Sensor circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty Governor Pressure Sensor

Help with Possible causes What does this mean?
Possible symptoms
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)

I have noticed that sometimes the truck seems to have a problem finding the next gear . I checked the trans fluid level the other day and it seems fine .

There is a rattle like sound that comes from under the truck at parking lot speeds , I was told by the PO that it was a loose heat shield , and that is what it sounds like to me , I just have not had the chance to crawl under there and find out where it is .

the trans seems to work fine ,( other than the issue of sometimes having some hesitation finding the next gear ) 4x4 seems to work good in hi and low , i had the truck out fishing and we crawled through some genuine crappy logging roads in hi and low . It did pop out of 4x4 at the very end of the trip and made some noises that scared me .
I had just finished coming out of the woods in 4 low and had shifted to 4 high for the last couple hundred meters . ( I stopped the truck put it in neutral to shift from low to hi , then put it in drive ) I went about 10 meters and it popped out of 4x4 and made sounds that sounded like a standard when you grind the gears . I hit the brakes popped it into neutral and the sound went away . I then moved the 4x4 lever and reseated it into 4 high dropped it into drive and continued on there did not seem to be a problem after that .
I am hoping I did not screw up the trans . That was last week and i have not noticed any new problems .

does anyone have any experience with this problem and know how to fix it ?
of the 4 possable problems the code indicates :
P1762 Dodge - Governor Pressure Sensor Offset Voltage Too High or Low
Possible causes
- Internal transmission failure
- Governor Pressure Sensor harness open or shorted
- Governor Pressure Sensor circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty Governor Pressure Sensor

the - Internal transmission failure is the one that scares me , but the truck has low kms , and has not been abused before , so it would suprise me if the trans was fried . Plus it still seems to work fairly well .

one other thing I noticed when i did an ebay search for parts that one of the parts kits had a trans filter and seal with it , could this be caused by a clogged trans filter ?

That is everything I can think of . any help narrowing down what is ging wrong and suggestions on how to fix it would be appreciated .
thanks

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
casey1981