99 dodge sport upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dewman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just got a 99 dodge sport 5.2 L. Got some shorty speed daddy stainless headers coming Friday. I want my low to mid torque loud and proud exhaust! I'm assuming use a y pipe into a single chamber muffler. I want duals but don't want the sound of small pipes. I need to know how to run this exhaust size and tips. I have a 3 inch body lift, 2 inch leveling kit, 33 cooper stt. Rest is bone stock in motor and gears. I got 410 gears coming as well. What is some add ons that is a good bang for the buck. Spacers? Cold air? I'm getting rid of the clutch fan and doing a flex fan or electric. I have about 600-1000 after exhaust is done. Ty for ur time in reading this and responding.

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Best bang is a good tune up, check your plenum for leaks, 1.7rr, wouldn't hurt to throw in a shift kit if you plan on servicing the trans. CAI isn't going to be all too noticeable. If you've got the deathflash, a tuner would be a significant increase in your power. Just keep in mind, this is a 318 we're talking about. Gains aren't going to be as impressive as you're probably hoping to see.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

Dewman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is my first dodge. I am not expecting to smoke all 4 tires off. Was a 1 owner bone stock when I got it. Paid 600 for it. Right now has the cats cut off with y pipe still on. If I'm doing the exhaust might as well do it from engine back. I have no low end right now takes forever to get to 55 mph. I know with 33in tires that weigh 65 lbs each and stock gears I'd have that. But 4:10 gears are on it's way. I want to know what the best way to run my exhaust with duals that would be benificial to low end and gas mileage. There will be no o2 on it. Eliminating those with the o2 eliminator. Like I said Im looking for a loud and proud exhaust and 600-1000 extras I can add to this truck. And btw what is death flash?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
"Beneficial to low end and mileage" and "no 02s" are 2 statements that contradict each other. You want good low end and mileage? Shorty headers, true duals, 02s, cats, x crossover, 2" pipe with straight through style muffler or no muffler. Could bump it up to 2.25" if you want to sacrifice a bit of the low end and mileage. Or you can run 2.5" single with cat and 02s and shortys for SIMILAR performance to 2" duals. Muffler of choice or none. I suggest Carven R, Spintech 9000, or Flowmaster 10/Cherry Bomb Extreme.

Cold air kit: gain is only from cotton filter. Only buy if you want the added throaty sound otherwise skip and go for drop in cotton filter. Same result.
Throttle body spacer: paper weigh
Death flash: "updated" software that ******* timing and kills power. Combo of that and Tq Management takes your power out back like Ol Yeller. Programmers remove the flash but only sct or mopar pcm remove tq management

Any other questions feel free

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
"Beneficial to low end and mileage" and "no 02s" are 2 statements that contradict each other. You want good low end and mileage? Shorty headers, true duals, 02s, cats, x crossover, 2" pipe with straight through style muffler or no muffler. Could bump it up to 2.25" if you want to sacrifice a bit of the low end and mileage. Or you can run 2.5" single with cat and 02s and shortys for SIMILAR performance to 2" duals. Muffler of choice or none. I suggest Carven R, Spintech 9000, or Flowmaster 10/Cherry Bomb Extreme.

Cold air kit: gain is only from cotton filter. Only buy if you want the added throaty sound otherwise skip and go for drop in cotton filter. Same result.
Throttle body spacer: paper weigh
Death flash: "updated" software that ******* timing and kills power. Combo of that and Tq Management takes your power out back like Ol Yeller. Programmers remove the flash but only sct or mopar pcm remove tq management

That never gets old. :roflsquared:

OP
OP
D

Dewman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ty very much so keeping the o2 would be better that doing an o2 eliminator that sends the voltage back that every thing is good. Sorry I been stuck in the Stone Age of carb motors with no comp accessories.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
You can do things like the non fouler trick to ***** 02 out of the stream if you delete the cat but there's no real performance gain there and if the vehicle is going to be driven anywhere that's not the tank is better to just keep the cat. Makes it legal too

Mohpar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9

Never heard of this. How do you know if your truck has it? I'll be damned if my old engine didn't bog down like no other (5.9) but current one is good.

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
Never heard of this. How do you know if your truck has it? I'll be damned if my old engine didn't bog down like no other (5.9) but current one is good.

In '99 or '00 they came out of the factory with it already done, iirc. If you have a sticker on your PCM or on your front rail (or just about any place they felt like slapping it on) in your engine bay, then you have the death flash. It usually says something along the lines of "Software Update". Customers were complaining of spark knock so this was their bs fix for the actual problem.

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
A good addition to help increase gas and help with your power is to get a good wideband 02 gauge with data logging. Getting that air/fuel mix tuned to what you need will go a long way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
This is my first dodge. I am not expecting to smoke all 4 tires off. Was a 1 owner bone stock when I got it. Paid 600 for it. Right now has the cats cut off with y pipe still on. If I'm doing the exhaust might as well do it from engine back. I have no low end right now takes forever to get to 55 mph. I know with 33in tires that weigh 65 lbs each and stock gears I'd have that. But 4:10 gears are on it's way. I want to know what the best way to run my exhaust with duals that would be benificial to low end and gas mileage. There will be no o2 on it. Eliminating those with the o2 eliminator. Like I said Im looking for a loud and proud exhaust and 600-1000 extras I can add to this truck. And btw what is death flash?

Install a new o2 sensor if you don't currently have one. Depending if you have 2 sensors, either way you NEED the upstream one installed anywhere (usually before a cat if you have one) and the downstream one can be deleted with your tune. The upstream is required to tell your computer what's going on. Keep your Y pipe and run 3" single or do true duals off the manifolds. Buy a performance muffler of your choice to fit your truck. If you already don't have a cat, don't waste the money buying one. A cold air intake will help some if you get it before your tune. This should be enough to chirp tires and get some decent mileage. If you decide to commit to something like this, in the future you can always do RRs, cam, headers. Just remember to get the truck tuned by a professional when you're done. Hemifever does nice work but you have to buy a $350 SCT Flasher to load the tune. The tune is so important... If it's not tuned for what you have...then your mods are almost useless.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Install a new o2 sensor if you don't currently have one. Depending if you have 2 sensors, either way you NEED the upstream one installed anywhere (usually before a cat if you have one) and the downstream one can be deleted with your tune. The upstream is required to tell your computer what's going on. Keep your Y pipe and run 3" single or do true duals off the manifolds. Buy a performance muffler of your choice to fit your truck. If you already don't have a cat, don't waste the money buying one. A cold air intake will help some if you get it before your tune. This should be enough to chirp tires and get some decent mileage. If you decide to commit to something like this, in the future you can always do RRs, cam, headers. Just remember to get the truck tuned by a professional when you're done. Hemifever does nice work but you have to buy a $350 SCT Flasher to load the tune. The tune is so important... If it's not tuned for what you have...then your mods are almost useless.
1. 2.5" will keep the tq lower
2. Hemifever is junk. I just bought the sct software and, having not even opened it, could prob give you a better tune

Last edited:

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here you go DD, Peppy did say it first:

Death flash is a "software update" by dodge. ******* the timing to reduce ping and hide plenum issue. Takes your power into the back yard and "Ol Yellers" it.
Also for some light reading:
98 Dodge ram 360 high-performance
http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?t=75645
Camshaft and rocker and overall MOD QUESTIONS
http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?t=80981
Few performance mods?
http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?t=72606
$1k performance upgrades
http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?t=76903

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Hemifever is junk. I just bought the sct software and, having not even opened it, could prob give you a better tune
Thats something most all of us can agree on.

FlyinRyan is the way to go, It came out to about $600-900 depending on if you go with the X3 (or I heard the X4 will work too) and how much Ryan decides to charge. Some other programmers are around and decent, but I dont know of them.

joepizuro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum v10
1. 2.5" will keep the tq lower
2. Hemifever is junk. I just bought the sct software and, having not even opened it, could prob give you a better tune

Suggest a good size exhaust for him then lol. I need to build the exhaust for my v10 still. Have it cut off @ the manifolds atm. Suggestions? I have teh sct flasher but no sct software yet... I want the sct advantage 3 sooo bad lol.