99 ram question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Antoniov1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just bought a 99 ram today with 90,000 miles and heard the transmission is common to go out. So I'm getting ready for when it does. What type of transmission should I go with and from where

1SilverBullet2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn 8 speed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You should be fine with that mileage. Delete the check valve in the cooler line will be the best thing you can do to extend trans life. Also keep an eye on fluid level and keep the fluid in good condition( fluid and filter changes). If you want to go further yet, a trans temp gauge can help watch temps. That's what kills these autos. You can also install a shift kit and that'll help shifting and replace any broken parts in the valvebody. If you want to buy a new trans, get a PATC Viper and you'll never need another automatic again. They're the best built 46re's a guy can buy. Be around $3k tho

Sent from the howitzer

Last edited:

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
^^completely agree with 1 addition: a bigger cooler.

Check valve delete and bigger cooler dies a lot for these trucks. That along with regular fluid and filter changes its not rare to find guys with 250k original trans no rebuilds. They do have their problems bit there are solutions as well.

Lifted01 and i both can attest to how well shift kits help these trucks. Mine made my trans go from super POS to working like damn near new.

1SilverBullet2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn 8 speed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I forgot to put in a bigger cooler haha had it on my mind but not fingers. +1 to bigger cooler

Sent from the howitzer

OP
OP
A

Antoniov1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok thanks guys. What kind of trans cooler and that one delete do you recommend and shift kit? Links to the product would be nice.

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Just go to advance or any other part store and get a light duty cooler. They have them on the shelf. The check valve is on the trans cooler line right before the radiator. Most people (I think), including myself went with the transgo jr shift kit. Fairly simple install, but has its moments.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

joshputman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Another thing you can do when you delete the check valve, is plumb in a remote filter.

One benefit is never needing to change the filter in the pan again.

Another is it keeps the torque converter from draining when the truck sits overnight or even a few hours I've heard.

Mine is made by B & M.

Also, install a drain plug in the pan.

Artificial intelligence will never beat natural stupidity.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joey93