99 Ram transfer case/transmission gringing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nbraget

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 99 Ram 1500 5.9L 4x4, and lately I have been hearing a nasty noise. When I get to about 45-55MPH and my truck shifts and sits around 1500-2000 rpm, if I try to slowly accelerate, there is a loud grinding sound from both under the driver and the rear diff. It kind of sounds like an impact gun. If I let off of the accelerator then the noise stops, and also if I push the pedal to the floor then it doesn't grind. I will be checking it out today.
Thanks for any help you can provide!

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
Id checkout the differential first. See if there are any chipped pieces in there causing the grinding. Ultimately, if it keeps happing go have it checked out.

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also check u-joints and trans/xcase mounts as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
N

nbraget

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have checked the rear diff. Fluid was at proper level and there were no metal shavings that I could see. The drive shaft was not loose and did not move in and out of the pinion. The U-joints were all tight with no damage or play. I pulled the drive shaft off and the splines to the transfer case were all in good condition and the c-clip on the t-case extension was fine. I changed the t-case fluid and it was slightly metallic but no visible chunks of metal. and looking into the t-case I could not see any obvious damage.
I am stuck yet again and do not know what to look at next. I have seen a couple posts elsewhere of the same issue, but none seemed to find a solution. I am a college student and cannot afford bringing it in to a shop right now.
Thanks again for any help you can provide!

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Does it only do it in a certain gear?

OP
OP
N

nbraget

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes. Only one gear. When I am accelerating, and get to about 45 mph, my truck shifts gears and when it is at the lowest speed for that gear and I accelerate, that is when I hear the noise.

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
OK, so you can likely rule out the t-case and the rest of the drive train. The transmission itself is likely the problem. And depending on how aggressive your in the throttle at 45 its either the torque converter or overdrive unit.