A/C issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrs6494

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
All of a sudden the other day my A/C quit blowing cold air at full strength meaning it blew slightly warmer then normal.

When I turned the fan level from off to on it would blow colder like normal then would warm up again after a short time.

I decided to get a freon can to test out the level and possibly add more freon. I put the gauge on and it read normal. Also the clutch does engage and works. The pipes are cold and all.

I own a 2006 1500 mega.

Any and all ideas to help me fix this problem would be well appreciated. Thanks.

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
do you have automatic temp control?

kenwitter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check your blend door. It's a plastic door that takes either the fresh air from outside or the recirculated air from inside. On the newer models it's an acordian shape that rotates. On yours it should be a plastic flap. They are notorious for breaking where they connect to the actuator motor that moves them.

It's located behind the glove box. If it moves freely it's probably broken or it might even have fallen off completely. Just be careful with it, cause if it's not broken, you can break it easily if the plastic has chrystalised.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 4

kenwitter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is a pic i found on the net of an 06 blend door. This is looking up through the blower motor housing with the motor removed. If it does turn out to be the blend door you can search on the web for the DIY fixes. Quite a few out there.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 573
OP
OP
J

jrs6494

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Thank you for the blend door information but that was not it. The door is fine and works. Is it possible a fuse or relay is going bad?

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is a pic i found on the net of an 06 blend door. This is looking up through the blower motor housing with the motor removed. If it does turn out to be the blend door you can search on the web for the DIY fixes. Quite a few out there.

thats actually the recirc door, it controls where the air comes from, outside or isnide the cab. the blend doors "blend" the air between hot and cold(heater core and evaporator).

your blend door(s) could be broken or the actuator is bad. the air in your hvac unit always passes through the evaporator no matter what, the blend doors then either direct the air through the heater core, over/under it, or a mix. It sounds like they could be broken or the actuator is bad and stuck at a certain position.

another thing to check is if your condensor fan is working.

kenwitter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
thats actually the recirc door, it controls where the air comes from, outside or isnide the cab. the blend doors "blend" the air between hot and cold(heater core and evaporator).

your blend door(s) could be broken or the actuator is bad. the air in your hvac unit always passes through the evaporator no matter what, the blend doors then either direct the air through the heater core, over/under it, or a mix. It sounds like they could be broken or the actuator is bad and stuck at a certain position.

another thing to check is if your condensor fan is working.

Thanks for the correction. I always thought that the blend and recirc doors were the same. The recirc door is the one I've had problems with.

I'm guessing then that the blend doors are burried in the climate control housing?

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the correction. I always thought that the blend and recirc doors were the same. The recirc door is the one I've had problems with.

I'm guessing then that the blend doors are burried in the climate control housing?

Its all good, people always mix them up. I had no idea until I had to tear into my unit, theyre really confusing. Yeah theyre buried in there. the air goes from the fan, through the evaporator, then the heater core lays horizontal with a door on top and a door on the bottom(blend doors). Theyre where the motor in the middle is that has a metal piece that connect the two and they direct the flow around the heater core.

I wish I had taken more detailed pics when I did it

DSC02513.jpg

(evaporator sits vertical in that slot right after the fan)
photo13-2.jpg

HolyRamBatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All of a sudden the other day my A/C quit blowing cold air at full strength meaning it blew slightly warmer then normal.

When I turned the fan level from off to on it would blow colder like normal then would warm up again after a short time.

I decided to get a freon can to test out the level and possibly add more freon. I put the gauge on and it read normal. Also the clutch does engage and works. The pipes are cold and all.

I own a 2006 1500 mega.

Any and all ideas to help me fix this problem would be well appreciated. Thanks.

Are you testing this while sitting still or driving?

You posted turning it off and on makes it work temporarily. That makes me think vacuum leak.

Maybe a loose electrical connection but I don't think so.

If it was a bad relay/fuse it wouldn't work.