A/C problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tydog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hey guys I've got a 04 1500 QC AWD and I'm having problems with the ac and the heater. First the ac work well as long as the truck is moving, if I come to a stop after about a minute it starts blowing warmer air until I get moving again. Then this winter I noticed that the heat went out. I changed the core a couple years back and it worked fine until last summer when I noticed the problem with the ac. In the last 2 years I've changed the radiator, water pump, thermostat, emptied and recharged the ac. Anyone have any ideas what might cause this. It seems strange that the ac works as long as I'm in motion.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Ceri

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your AC condensor fan is dead. That is exactly what the symptoms fit. Hot at idle and cold at speed. Its next to the radiator and you should be able to do the work yourself as long as you don't mind cutting a little bit of trim off the new one where it routes around a compressor line. Otherwise you have to evacuate the system of R134a, disconnect one of the metal lines, and install the condensor.

Don't know if that has anything to do with the heater problem, but its summer and getting the AC blowing right would be my priority.

jotin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bang on that condenser fan and check the fuse. 95% of the time it'll kick back on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

tydog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hey thanks a ton for the help, I picked up a new fan motor and installed it yesterday. The AC is back to normal.

Hot Ducer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey thanks a ton for the help, I picked up a new fan motor and installed it yesterday. The AC is back to normal.

How was the fan install? I have to do mine tomorrow. Any tips?

2003 1500 QuadCab 5.7 4x4

Deiz29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just installed mine yesterday took about 30 min. I have the 4.7 tho and was able to unbolt my fuse box and battery and wiggle it in. Just had to cut the plastic around the ac line on top to get it around it without removing the line. There's 2 bolts on top with the rubber bushings. Keep the bushings for the new fan(2 on top and 2 on bottom) and there are 4 bolts holding the fan shroud to the condenser. 13mm for top bolts and a 10mm for the side bolts.

Hot Ducer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just did mine, a bit of a PITA but not a difficult job.

OP
OP
T

tydog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
How was the fan install? I have to do mine tomorrow. Any tips?

Was a bit of a B*&#H to get it off and on being I didn't evacuate the system. Had to cut off part of the side flange on the shroud to get it past the line running to the compressor. After getting it installed the same line ended up leaking in the middle of the hose. ( not sure if it was caused by all the movement) , ended up having to buy a new line and rented a manifold and vacuum from autozone to re charge the system. Runs great now! Nice and cold pressure line was $100 from the dealership, a can of refrigerant and the motor about another $50. Not a bad deal altogether.

Hot Ducer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like you did have a good time!