A/C taking awhile to get cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zach58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 2015 ram 1500. About a week after I got it (almost 2 years ago) my a/c motor broke so I ended up getting a new motor and condenser.
It has worked fine until somewhat recently. It takes a good 20-30 mins to start blowing cold air. I’m from Florida so it’s always hot out but definitely has been hotter since it’s summer. I’ve noticed if I don’t drive it for a couple days, it will take longer to start getting cold. Once it’s cold tho it stays cold.
Anyone have any ideas?

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like either uneven pressures between high/low side, out of specs or low Freon. But somebody better than me needs to chime in. Also, just a thought evaporator popped in. But a better mechanic than me, a HVAC knowledgeable forum member needs to chime in.

MAC830203

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 408
Slow pressure leaks remove the fake Freon and leave the oil. Best bet is to get it serviced. They should purge and recharge. The system needs a balanced Freon/oil content. Too much pressure, it’s a non stop off and on.
Too little a charge, and it takes a while to build up pressure to bring High pressure side to blow cold.

OP
OP
Zach58

Zach58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Slow pressure leaks remove the fake Freon and leave the oil. Best bet is to get it serviced. They should purge and recharge. The system needs a balanced Freon/oil content. Too much pressure, it’s a non stop off and on.
Too little a charge, and it takes a while to build up pressure to bring High pressure side to blow cold.
Ok sounds good. Thanks man

OP
OP
Zach58

Zach58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sounds like either uneven pressures between high/low side, out of specs or low Freon. But somebody better than me needs to chime in. Also, just a thought evaporator popped in. But a better mechanic than me, a HVAC knowledgeable forum member needs to chime in.
Ok thanks man!

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There's got to be a good auto AC shop near you. You might want to take it in for a diagnosis & repair (if it needs repair).

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
They should purge and recharge. The system needs a balanced Freon/oil content. Too much pressure, it’s a non stop off and on.
Um...not really
Oil doesn't have anything to do with the AC cooling, it just keeps the compressor able to spin.
It's the low pressure control that will cause a compressor to cycle on/off usually due to being low on refrigerant. Too much pressure can raise the evap temperature above design range and the cooling capacity is diminished.

origsquig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat