A new Gremlin in 12” screen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
So this morning I’m greeted with the screen having lost its ability to control HVAC properly. No controls for the dual zone auto, just one sliding temperature bar on the left in place of the numerical temperature setting. Picture coming below.

It blows hot out the passenger vent and cold on the driver. Several restarts and it remains messed up.

Finally fixed it with a forced reset of the Uconnect. What fool thought up THAT procedure???

Just another day in FCA Can-Bus bizarro land.

IMG_1222.jpeg

1stindoor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
'23 2500 MegaCab
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Weird. Good to know a reset will resolve the issue.

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5, 2023 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
I have one of these so what is the process for a reset?

OP
OP
T

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Push both the volume and tuning knobs in at the same time until the system reboots.
Well, if that’s all it takes, I was fooled by some website into a bunch of time wasting nonsense. Their procedure involved turning the ignition on and off, opening the door and waiting 30 seconds, and finally doing the two button press. Maybe all that preamble was someone’s idea of a joke. Or perhaps intended to power cycle the head unit before the reset.

In any case, I’ve come to accept that glitches in the electronics are just a part of the experience. This is my third late model FCA with gremlins.

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This happened to me after a firmware update. I let the truck sit overnight and it somehow fixed itself by morning.

Exact same issue, too, with the blue/red instead of the # for the temperature.

1stindoor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
'23 2500 MegaCab
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So it was my turn last night. Update popped up, afterwards I had the same problem I just did a factory reset through the settings. Biggest PITA was resetting the radio and all my personal settings. Every time I start or drive I'm reminded of something else I didn't reset, i.e. stadia lines on the backup camera or turning off the sync in the temp settings.

chopperdog45

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
Well, if that’s all it takes, I was fooled by some website into a bunch of time wasting nonsense. Their procedure involved turning the ignition on and off, opening the door and waiting 30 seconds, and finally doing the two button press. Maybe all that preamble was someone’s idea of a joke. Or perhaps intended to power cycle the head unit before the reset.

In any case, I’ve come to accept that glitches in the electronics are just a part of the experience. This is my third late model FCA with gremlins.
This seems to be a legit procedure. I had to call into Ram support before because of an issue with the internet in my truck not working correctly, and the tech I was on the phone with had me do this, and it actually fixed my issue.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I've done the 2 button reset procedure while driving down the road. Not sure when you'd need to employ all the steps listed above, but my truck apparently does not require them.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
This happened to me after a firmware update. I let the truck sit overnight and it somehow fixed itself by morning.

Exact same issue, too, with the blue/red instead of the # for the temperature.
Same here, sometimes another day is needed.

But this last over-the-air update which was a while back now broke something that I just discovered with the cold weather arriving. I had to make a fast stop at a store and left the truck running with my wife in it. When I left the truck I took my phone with me. When I got back to the truck, Andriod Auto no longer reconnects to my phone. I have to shut the engine down, open the door, and restart to get Android Auto back on the screen.

Never had this problem in the past, when I got back in the truck with my phone reconnection was almost instant until this last update which was around the first part of October 2023.