A trailer with no brakes?

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by Mpeach1976, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Mpeach1976

Mpeach1976 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Cummins diesel
    I'm going to be using my '95 Dodge Cummins 3500 dually to haul a 1967 ford f100 on a Uhaul car transport trailer. I've reserved the trailer and also found out that the trailers Uhaul rent don't have electric brakes. Is that safe? The Ford being towed weighs about 3500 pounds. It'll be a cinch for my truck to haul, but I'm concerned about downhills and stopping power on the trailer. Has anyone towed a load like this on a Uhaul trailer with any problems?

2. dodge dude94

dodge dude94 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    1998 Ram 1500
    Engine:
    5.9 Magnum
    You have a 1 ton....it'll be just fine. You may feel it push a little bit, but you'll still stop fine.

3. Rlaf75

Rlaf75 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    You'll be fine since your ram is big enough.I used to be a tow truck driver. My wrecker was a 92 f350 7.3 diesel 4x2. I've pulled several vehicle the same size and larger without any type of braking system without any problems. Just give yourself some extra distance and time and you should be fine.

4. tsc

tsc Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Some Uhauls have hydraulic brakes installed.

I'm pretty certain if you're going to be using one of their car haulers. It will have hydraulic brakes, since I can't see them renting out something that wasn't "legal". Most states and province's require trailer brakes over a certain weight (anywhere from 2K to 3500K+).

Uhaul tends to use hydraulic brakes oppose to electric, since it covers their backside. If they came with electric, they would have to ensure that the renter had an electric brake controller in the vehicle. This way, with the hydraulic, it's attached to the trailer and it's one less thing they have to worry about.

dodge dude94 and Merc225hp like this.
  5. OutLore

OutLore Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I've towed a 1950 Studebaker pickup (probably around 3500#) on a U-Haul car hauler twice - once with a U-Haul truck from TX to NC and then from Raleigh to Louisburg (40 miles) with my Ram (1500) - they do have hydro brakes, but both times I didn't feel there wasn't enough braking available.

6. RonJon '06

RonJon '06 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2006, 1985
    Engine:
    5.7, 360
    I've towed a few 1/2 ton pick ups with my '06 2500 on a trailer that has electric brakes...that don't work...and its been fine. Leave yourself some extra room like Rlaf75 suggests and if the Uhaul has hydraulic brakes even better.

7. CVX20

CVX20 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Knowing how U-HAUL operates,they've probably never serviced the brakes.

8. bcbouy

bcbouy Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2012 ram 2500
    Engine:
    hemi
    if i were you i wouldn't tow a truck on a trailer without some kind of braking system.if for any reason the trailer comes away from the truck its going to kill someone.don't think it can't happen to you.

9. Rustycowl69

Rustycowl69 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2001 ram 3500
    Engine:
    V10
    At least make sure you have enough tongue weight.I was towing my race car on a trailer with no brakes. I thought I had positioned the car on the hauler with enough tongue weight, I was wrong. It was about 3 or 4 inches shallow. I had just gotten on the freeway, there was a long incline, then when I reached the crest of the hill and started down the other side, I touched the brakes and the trailer started wagging. I could see the trailer on my left side with my peripheral vision, when I was facing forward! Fortunately, the rush hour traffic parted, and slowed waiting for me to crash, but I was able to wrestle it to a stop. Had I had trailer brakes, It probably wouldn't have happened, or I could have settled it with the brake controller.