ABS Codes, need help troubleshooting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

geokscott

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got the ABS and Brake Lights on my 2005 1500 Ram Hemi 2WD and decided to spring for a BlueDriver ODB2 device to read the codes. The truck runs fine and there are no other issues. I don't know if this is the best tool for the job, but it says it will diagnose ABS codes.

Ran a scan and it came back with one Anti-Lock Brake System code: LF SENSOR CONTINUITY FAILURE.

That seemed pretty straight forward, so I started with pulling the FL wheel, brake & disk to inspect the sensor. I unplugged it, took it out, and inspected it. Looked okay physically, so I put it back and hooked it to a volt meter and spun the hub. Got voltage, so it seems it is sensing. I plugged it back in and unplugged at the control module and hooked my volt meter there, spun and got voltage also. Put everything back together, maybe it was just a lose connection that got fixed by unplugging everything. Using the BlueDriver I did a reset then ran another full scan.

The first error code was gone, but now I have a new code: 52 Open Dump Coil REAR

I disconnected the battery for a while and reconnected then drove the truck to the store and back to see if it would clear up on it's own. It DID NOT, and I still have the ABS and Brake lights. When I arrived home I kept the truck running and did another Reset, then full scan. I still have the same 52 error and whole bunch of other crap reporting which has to be false. I stopped at this point. I hope the BlueDriver didn't mess something up?!?!?!

I have been google like crazy but cannot find any info on the "52 Open Dump Coil REAR" error code. I'm afraid I might have a bad control module, but have no idea. I could use some help of how to troubleshoot from here!

Thanks in advance!

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
TL;DR - Do not try to pull codes with your Dodge truck running.

IDK about the rest, I can tell you that you will get multiple false codes with the truck running when you do a code scan. I believe it is a Dodge thing as I can clear codes on my son's Hyundai with it running.

As far as I understand, the ABS module/pump can become damaged over time as it sits right next to the battery, happened to mine, and it is intermittent. Disconnect your battery and inspect the plug (cable and module sides) going into the ABS pump/module for corrosion. Other than that, I've got little else useful on this one.