ABS Pump Control Module - Electrical Connector Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bennyhonda

Reaction score
Ram Year
200(1)3
Engine
Hemi
Hello,

Well, I found the cause of my ABS and Parking Brake Dash Lights. Seems that my electrical connection corroded on top of the ABS Pump Control Module. Two of my pins were completely rotted off into the half acid eaten connectors.

It seems there was a recall for this very problem in 2003, however, according to the dealership my VIN is not included. :manos:

So, I need to replace the two connectors and two to three pins. If I cannot replace the pins, I have to pick up a used ABS pump control unit.

My question is this: Does anyone know if the black electrical connection on the pump control (being held down with 3 small torx screws) can be removed to repair the pins? I pulled on it but there was a lot of resistance and no movement so I figured I'd ask before breaking something.

Alternatively, if I have to replace the whole unit, will the brakes need to be bled upon reinstallation? I've found no useful removal diagrams explaining this process.

Lastly, anyone have a source for the electrical connectors?

Thanks much,

Ben
2003 RAM 2500
5.7 Hemi
4x4 Auto

OP
OP
B

Bennyhonda

Reaction score
Ram Year
200(1)3
Engine
Hemi
Thanks for the response. Mine looks like this one:

c1c3_35.jpg

OP
OP
B

Bennyhonda

Reaction score
Ram Year
200(1)3
Engine
Hemi
Has anyone ever worked on one of these? I'm still looking for some answers. Thankfully, the truck still runs without ABS.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Well

1: it doesnt work right now and it wont repair itself so you have nothing to lose by trying to repair it

2: go get another abs module at the auto recyclers . Yes, you will have to bleed the brakes from every wheel, probably alot lol, might need a vaccum bleeder or a good brake pumping partner, preferably both haha

Or

3: meh who needs abs anyway
d17586b9cc0820dfc4d2480809da430a1248e9f272b201cd66.jpg

OP
OP
B

Bennyhonda

Reaction score
Ram Year
200(1)3
Engine
Hemi
Thanks for the info. Good to know I need to bleed.

Does anyone know if the black electrical plug on top of the module will lift off after the 3 torx screws are removed? Like I said, I pulled pretty hard on it but I'm afraid I'll break it prior to having a replacement (besides, I like my gauges - there's too much fuzz out here).

As for ABS, I think it could come in handy on a rainy day. I pull a trailer and I'm not accustomed to pumping the brakes if the need arose.

Thanks again.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It probably will come out if you pull and pry enough. But there will be wire attached to the backside, and there might be a hidden screw or clip or something. I dont know mine looks like the other guys

As for abs on these trucks at least mine is only rear wheel abs. There are no speed sensors in the front and i have locked them (front) up before (hopefully wont have to again lol was close)
If the back was to lock up on low traction situations (think snow covered ice road) that sucks balls but other than that you wont encounter a situation that you will say damn i wish i had abs aslong as you drive responsible/defensivly

57hauler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Was wondering if you were able to fix module. I have exact same nightmare playing out, but for the second time! About a year ago after tons of internet research, I was able to figure out that rotted pins in the abs module from water damage were causing same above listed issues. I bought a used module at wrecking yard for $125 and also had to replace 2 wires in connector that attaches to module, which wasn't easy, however it solved the problem. Now I'm faced with same issue. This time only one pin rotted away and was wanting to rig it somehow. Also I'm reading water some how gets thru cowling and leaks into so called water proof connector.any known fix for that? I bought my truck new in 03, it was great for years, however she is now starting to nickel and dime me!

OP
OP
B

Bennyhonda

Reaction score
Ram Year
200(1)3
Engine
Hemi
I realize I never updated this post (like so many others) after fixing the problem. I put the truck into storage shortly after fixing it back in 2015 to assist a family member with terminal illness.

In an effort to help those that experienced the same problem:

I purchased a used ABS Module and pump assembly from a junk yard and installed just the module (not pump) in my ram. That took care of the acid eaten pins and no, you don't have to bleed the brakes to install the module.

The assembly I purchased included the plug, so I was able to swap out the clean connectors with my old corroded ones and solder them in. Then I wrapped everything in super silicone tape. Dont forget to grease the connectors as well as the silicone gasket in the plug to help seal out future moisture. I had a piece of plastic laying around from something and mounted it over the entire abs module to shield it from the battery. Guess that woud've been too much for Dodge to do... after all, they have a decades old reputation for electrical issues to uphold.

Last edited:

jpan3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all,
I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 3.7 that the electrical connector to the ABS module has disintegrated and melted into module. Have to replace module and electrical connector but can not locate an original replacement local. Had to order aftermarket. Have 9 wires going into 14 pin connector, need to know wire pin placement into connector. Have called dealerships and no luck, junkyards and no luck. Any help, pics, info. would be great.