AC pulley?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chumpann

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 v8
Ok, got a 98 1500 5.9

started hearing a sound like a screw in a blender, just one screw, and maybe a slow blender......

Looked under hood and sound coming from ac pulley, and pulley was not turning well...

video

It has since seized up and wont turn.

My question is, can I just replace pulley? or does the whole compressor need to be replace?

THank you

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
I cant view the video.
Is it OK with a/c on? Is it OK off? If the a/c still works but the pulley bearing is siezed you can replace the pulley. If the compressor is sized needs a compressor. You can remove the belt and place a pry bar or large screw drive between the magnets on the face of the clutch. With the belt off it should turn without a lot of effort but should have a bit of resistance.
If the belt has been slipping on there replace that as well

MoparMagic'00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
My bearing is getting a grind to it and clutch is wearing thin.. Still works though.. Heard there are different clutch and pulleys and bearings though.. Anyone confirm? Mine is a 2000 1500 5.2... Has the sanden compressor

OP
OP
C

chumpann

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 v8
The ac wasnt working well to begin. It was charged, just wouldnt blow cold air. Was thinking it was the blend door.

It seized up and the belt melted off.

I do not know what part is the clutch?
With the screwdriver am i trying to move the pulley or release tension of magnets so I can move pulley?

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Wedge it between the magnets to rotate the compressor if that video is with the a/c off I'd say it's just the clutch bearing