Activate Dual (2nd) Alternator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cummins16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Has anyone successfully activated their dual (2nd) alternator using OBD Link MX+ (via Android or Windows) on a 2013-2017 Cummins? If so, care to share any details on how you did it. Thx.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Welcome to the forum. :cheers:

Search the AlphaOBD thread:

OP
OP
C

Cummins16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Welcome to the forum. :cheers:

Search the AlphaOBD thread:
Thanks for the welcome . . . and the reply!

Prior to making my first post, I searched the AlphaOBD thread (and the forum) for anything dealing with dual (2nd) alternators. One poster in the AlphaOBD thread mentioned he was having trouble activating his 2nd alternator, but no one replied.

Our dealer wants $150 an hour just to "try" and activate. They've never done it before. Rather not have them learn how to do it on my dime.

Does anyone know if a dual alternator option even exists in AlphaOBD for a <2018 MY Ram Cummins?

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Cummins16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I was messin' around with an unregistered copy of AlfaOBD (Windows version) in demo mode today. Surprisingly, AlfaOBD was able to connect to my truck via a Veepeak OBECheck BLE bluetooth module (v 1.5) that I purchased a few years ago.

Was able to retrieve a very detailed BCM status report. Under Powertrain, it provided the following status: "Dual Alternator Present: No". This is encouraging.

I've read some of these low-cost, ELM327 OBD modules (like the Veepeak) can read data ok, but may not have a high enough baud rate to write data. Supposedly, the $140 OBDLink MX+ (which AlfaOBD recommends) has this capability. Rather not spend $140 if I don't have to.

Anybody had success making BCM changes using AlfaOBD with a Veepeak, or other low-cost ELM327 bluetooth module?

If so, were you using the Windows or Android version of AlfaOBD?