Active Grille shutters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I don't know a single person who bought a pickup because they thought they would get better gas mileage - or even gave MPG much of a thought. And everybody I know owns a pickup. We buy pickups so we can tow our bass boats and RV's that can't be towed with a Prius. We don't buy them so we can lift them and add a bunch of stuff that does nothing to add to towing or hauling ability, and then never take them off the asphalt. Gas could go up to $10 a gallon and it wouldn't change the way I drive.
The only thing i use a personal pickup for is hunting, fishing, and long distance travel becasue i find a pickup the most comfortable to spend 12 hours in. I put less than 10,000 miles a year on my personal pickup. Gas is less than depreciation and insurance so i agree, mileage isn't one of my considerations

However, I can tell you for sure that 8 bucks a gallon, like it is in B.C. is changing the number of people that use pickups for daily drivers. When a fill is costing you $250 bucks and you do that twice a week just to drive back and forth to work on dry paved roads that has zero need for a 4x4, you start looking for options.

Last edited:

ibike

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looking at the image of the disassembled drive gear.

The screw like part, seems to have whitish plastic gears on it
those gears look damaged

View attachment 523498

It reminds me of the HVAC actuator

Nah. It’s just lithium grease. Looked like that to me too, but the teeth are pristine.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
LOL :)

I bought my 2016 Ram, with MPG in mind

That is because my Ram mileage is what determines how much money goes into the bank.

For instance, i bought my 2009 HEMI powered Ram.
I would leave my driveway & the U.S. Government allows something like Business use of vehicles at a rate of around 60 cents per mile, as write off on our taxes.

I would drive 153 miles over to YUMA AZ. where i would fill my tank, my buddy in his Toyota would fill up his.
We would drive over to the Truck Scales, to meet with semi truck drivers with Wide Loads & then Escórt them to our destination, then go home.
When we are with the wide load traveling, we charge a certain price for our services.
The next day, we could return to Yuma & fill up, then meet the truck drivers, etc.

When my buddy filled up that 2nd day, it would cost him about half what it cost me with my Hemi.
So he was able to put more money into the bank, because of the amount of fuel we used.

When i bought my 2016 Ram, i got the Eco-diesel & increased my fuel mileage on those jobs by at least 40%.
Thus more money in the bank.
Irritates the heck out of me, that they don't make eco-diesels any more :(

Last edited:

ibike

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Gas mileage. I traded in a 2015 Jeep wrangler for my 2020 Ram. The Jeep got 17mpg average. 3.6 v6. My ram is getting an easy 20mpg 5.7 hemi. I’m sure after I have driven the Ram for awhile that’ll change. The Ram is new to me and I’m driving it easy, so of course I’m getting good right now. Yep I didn’t get it expecting Prius mpg’s. Got it to be a work horse. It feels really good when I mash the skinny pedal and leave the rest behind.