Actual Fuel Capacity?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FlyFisher99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know it's described as a 26 gallon tank, but vent and filler location prevent "100% utilization" in many vehicles. What's the max you have pumped into a near empty ecodiesel?

I'm familiar w diesels, know you shouldn't run them to empty. Don't want air in lines, don't want floating contaminants sucked in, don't want to burn up fuel pump(s). I'd just like to know what sort of capacity and range I really have.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The max you should ever pump in is when pump shuts off. Overfilling even one click will create multiple problems. Your capacity rating is the tank per your window sticker, the filler nozzle is not included. The range is what it is, you can hand calculate mpg and then extrapolate distance to empty, if you consider, say, 23 gallons as empty but you should always keep tank above a set point in fuel gage, say a 1/4.

Good luck.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
You could get a 33 gallon tank in a 2020 Ecodiesel, it was an option.

If you want to know the size for sure,
enter your VIN # at this site
Use Capital Letters

this may be the answer

OP
OP
F

FlyFisher99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tron67j, not what I was asking about, but your comment about not topping off when fueling got my attention. On my RV (Freightliner chassis, Cummins ISB engine), I've always filled to click, wait 20 - 30 seconds for foam to subside, then add several more gallons until it clicks again.

If I don't top off after foam goes away seems like I'd be nowhere near full (which gets back to my original qustion, how much fuel does the ecodiesel "26 gallon" tank hold in real world use?

Btw - my RV tank is listed as 90 gallons. In the rare instances where I've run it down well into the yellow (last 1/8 tank), the most I've pumped is 63 gallons. Does my tank really hold just 70 gallons (maybe due to poor venting), or did I actually have 27 gallons of reserve? Probably somewhere in between.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Btw - my RV tank is listed as 90 gallons. In the rare instances where I've run it down well into the yellow (last 1/8 tank), the most I've pumped is 63 gallons. Does my tank really hold just 70 gallons (maybe due to poor venting), or did I actually have 27 gallons of reserve? Probably somewhere in between.

Does it have two tanks like a semi or just one big one? Driving trucks on the farm I've ran out of fuel when the gauge said half because the line that ties the tanks together wasn't flowing correctly. Could also go the other way where it says you are almost out when your main tank still has some.

If it's a single tank, then ignore all of that.

OP
OP
F

FlyFisher99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's a single tank, in middle of RV, with fairly long filler tube. Foam comes up that tube way before tank is actually full. I've learned to live w approx 60 "working gallons" in a 90 gal tank. Gives me 500 mile range, ready to stop anyway.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
one thing that i have noticed with Ram truck Fuel Tanks

The fuel tank is not a rectangle in shape
It has at least 2 Steps in it, the fill point on the Tank itself, is lower than the tanks actual height

2016 Ram eco-diesel fuel tank shape
Looks like the place where the hose slips over access port is about 8" from the left most point.
a bit below the top of the tank

1706316611041.png

2016 Eco-Diesel

1706317082469.png

1706317351885.png

1706317459241.png

OP
OP
F

FlyFisher99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll answer my own question. Only one fill up so far, but it looks like my "26 gallon" tank actually has 25-26 gallons of capacity. Guage showed 1/8 tank (no low fuel light yet), remaining range was 60 miles, meaning about 2.5 gallons left (at 24 mpg). Tank took 22.5 gal. All is good (range now shows 600 mi).

Btw - I did top off one extra click, but it didn't make much difference. I waited 20 sec for foam to subside, then continued filling - only took 1/2 gal more (nothing like foam build up in my RV's tank).

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Tron67j, not what I was asking about, but your comment about not topping off when fueling got my attention. On my RV (Freightliner chassis, Cummins ISB engine), I've always filled to click, wait 20 - 30 seconds for foam to subside, then add several more gallons until it clicks again.

If I don't top off after foam goes away seems like I'd be nowhere near full (which gets back to my original qustion, how much fuel does the ecodiesel "26 gallon" tank hold in real world use?

Hard to tell without actual investigation. It is possible that the tank isn't as empty as it appears based on gauge or stick measure, if possible.

Generally, once a tank clicks off it is either full, or if not there is a venting problem. If you can't fill it without multiple clicks, maybe need to investigate the situation. Wish I had more to offer. Good luck.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The max you should ever pump in is when pump shuts off. Overfilling even one click will create multiple problems.
Only applies to gasoline fuel systems as they have vapor recovery. The diesel's fuel tank vent is at the top by the fuel filler, worse that can happen is fuel spill out vent from overfilling.
Only one fill up so far, but it looks like my "26 gallon" tank actually has 25-26 gallons of capacity. Guage showed 1/8 tank (no low fuel light yet), remaining range was 60 miles, meaning about 2.5 gallons left (at 24 mpg). Tank took 22.5 gal. All is good (range now shows 600 mi).
I just had a similar refill, was 22.8 gallons. Fuel gauge was just above the empty mark but no low fuel light.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Can't speak to all tanks, but filling different things over the years like pickup diesel tanks, saddle tanks in trucks in the past and tractors, never had to keep clicking after first shut off, they were full. Things work differently in diesel from gas and campers and modifications to trucks can necessitate a filler extension hose and don't know the actual set up. I never had to repeat click on my diesel delivery truck and just think that if needing to keep restarting the fill process is a regular occurrence it might be worth checking out. Doing that is a sure fire way to accidentally overfill and spill fuel on the ground.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I used to travel longer distances
7 years with a 2009 HEMI Ram
now
7 years with an Ram ecodiesel

sometimes service stations can cause different issues

I was driving my 2009 through Texas, i stopped at one Station, where the pump would only let me pump possibly 1 gallon at a time.
That was the only station where the pumps did that with that Truck.
There was something wrong with the Stations Venting system, when any pump clicked OFF, they all clicked OFF

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Of course, your remaining range always changes, depending on where you were driving at the time.
I can drive around town & i know that i have to drive from my place to the ARCO gas station at 16th Street in Yuma Arizona.
First thing that i do is look at the Fuel Gauge, then i look at the remaining range.
I know that drive is 153 Miles.

The remaining mileage was calculated for City Driving & the drive to Arizona is all 4 Lane highway, with no stops, speed limit is 70 MPH, except for 10 miles, where it is 65 MPH.

I basically guestimate if i can make it or not, there is a truck stop at the 100 mile mark, which i rather not stop at

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357