Actual tires don't match sticker on new RAM...?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97RedRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Keep them and enjoy the upgrade. The Pirelli tires are great tires and you are only talking one inch more from the ground to the rim.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
the same thing happened when I bought my '19 laramie 1500. when I test drove it it had the 20" falkens that showed on the sticker. I went on home ..2 miles..and after mulling everything over I called the salesman and said I would take it. I went back the next morning and while doing a final walk around I noticed it had 22's and different wheels. the salesman seemed surprised and did not have an answer for why and I said put em back like they were. I was buying this truck for the long list of tow friendly extras it had and didnt want low profile 22" street tires to go with the ORP and E-locker and sport hood and other stuff it had so they jumped right on it and changed em out. I had a copy of the window sticker so I wanted to make sure I got what I came for. I made sure that the full size matching spare was there too.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My Warlock came with 20" black alloy rims, I accepted this because I already had a new'ish set of 20" tires from my previous ride.

As part of the purchase agreement, the dealership swapped the crappy OEM tires with the nearly new Michelin Defenders from my Tundra.

At the end of the season, when I switch to 17" Winter wheels, I notice a slight improvement in the ride quality and even though it's only slight, you have to consider the difference in the tires I'm using.

The Summer tires are 20" OEM-sized Michelin Defenders, a pretty soft'ish and comfortable ride.
The Winter tires are E-rated BFG All Terrain KO2s 245/75/17 and usually pressured to about 42/40 PSI F/R.

I'm not sure what anyone is talking about when they say KO2s are quiet and comfy on the road. Maybe on deep snow, they are but, not so much on dry pavement. YMMV.

If I notice an improved ride comfort with a switch between my summer & winter wheels, the perceived improvement would likely be more noticeable with non-beefy road tires.

I should qualify my perceived ride comfort comment. The BFGs are always louder and a somewhat rough ride in comparison to the Defenders but for bumps, potholes and debris on the road, the BFGs always cushion better. Must be related the amount of sidewall.

In my past life, I used to enjoy offroad adventures and more sidewall was always better, regardless of the terrain but especially for any sort of rock crawling.

Then again, I see people offroading with ultra-low-profile and massively wide tires and they wonder why other trucks are figuratively running circles around them. :cool:

Last edited:

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Food for thought, the dealer could have installed the bigger tires and rims and someone forgot too put a dealer add on sticker next to the factory window sticker...

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The big thing is the replacement cost because of it being a low-profile tire and a difference in ride quality, but you have a 4 corner air suspension so the ride won't be affected, I myself don't like the low-profile look and effect in towing or offroad performance.

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was looking at a Laramie and a Sport. The Laramie had the bigger bed, but payload was only 1100ish lbs. The sport had the short bed, but 1700lbish payload.... I went with the sport. It was factory optionednwith the "midnight edition", which includes the 22inch rims. So, my payload sticker takes into account the 22inch sized tires/rims.

As for the scorpion tires: So far they've been great in the summer/rain, but I am 100% buying a separate set of rims/tires for winter.

Last edited:

ACEd

Reaction score
Engine
Diesel 6.7
In answer to load and inflation, the 285/45R22 are 114H vs the 275/55R20 113T, so they are essentially same load capacity with a very slight benefit (increase) with the 22's. The 22s are also rated for slightly higher speed.

As to overall diameter (height), the 22's calculate out to 32 in OD vs the 20's at 31.9 - no significant difference - within tolerances and brand variability.

As to pressures, I would go with same pressures as the rated pressures for the 20's as load rating is essentially same.

As to ride, the 22's will feel significantly stiffer ride and will be more susceptible to rim damage - but they are a $2000 upgrade. These are the only points I would consider personally.

As to replacements, availability of 22's will be poorer and cost at least marginally higher - but they are a $2000 upgrade.

No one is going to give you a refund for a $2000 upgrade - but I am sure you can find someone to swap even across if tires are essentially new.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
To me, i think of 22" Rims as something you see cruising the Mall.

If you are driving on a Newly Graded Dirt Road, you could likely drive at 45 to 50 MPH
If the same road has not been recently been graded, do not try to keep up with other travelers, once any ruts develop in the road, your rims can be damaged

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
@GrandpaBob
I grabbed your vin from the window sticker in your OP. Here's a link to your factory build sheet...

It doesn't show the 22" wheels either, but I think they are a fantastic upgrade over the 20" and I think replacement cost will be comparable for 22" tires since more and more vehicles are using 22" (& larger) nowadays. I bet factory had a shortage and they just installed a different set to keep things moving (or dealer swapped them with another truck as part of a sale)

I wish I had gotten the 33 gal tank on my 22 limited, but I had to pull the trigger to get one on a lot without eTorque while I could. That Delmonico Red is fantastic too!

15k miles on mine with the same tires and no complaints here.

Let's see a picture of your ride?

Attachments

• 123_1.jpeg
    123_1.jpeg
    168.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
OP
OP
GrandpaBob

GrandpaBob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for posting the build sheet! I hadn't seen it before so that was fun. I still can't believe this truck was sitting on a dealers lot on my way home from vacation as it is exactly what I would have put in for my custom order. I like the look of your night edition and would have preferred that, but, I couldn't have gotten the sea salt seats. I wanted the lighter color seats here in Arizona. I like your theory about the factory putting the 22s on. I'm pretty sure that if the dealer knew he was selling me 22s our negotiations would have started out $2000 higher.

I do love the looks of my rims. I'm just afraid I'm going to be exploring some dirt road some day, come across a washout or rocky area, try to cross, and regret it due to these narrow sidewall tires. Have you done any off-roading with yours? I feel like with this setup I could damage the rim just by hitting a curb too hard at the wrong angle.

Anyway, I'm seriously considering putting 18" Ram Rebel wheels and tires on. I think they also look pretty good and, at 33", would give me much more sidewall and maybe an even smoother ride on the highway without adding any unsprung weight. Although, I really can't complain about the ride with this setup. I guess the other option is to get a lift and 35x22s. Since most my driving is on the highway I'm just not sure I'm willing to give up the MPGs.

Your request for a picture prompted me to update my profile. Thanks again!

Attachments

• Pickup corner view square.jpg
    Pickup corner view square.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 7