Adding Bed Weight for Winter Driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I swore an oath to defend my country, Not enslave it ;) RCMP are now a bunch of brownshirts
Thought their tunics (right word) were red? LOL. Never wore a Sam Brown or Smokey the Bear hat in all my adventures. Now, the DI/TI's wore them in Basic, lol. NY State Troopers had a version of them, not like out west. (Have had a Cowboy Hat which I usually left in the truck to wear) in a previous agency.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Having lived most of my life in Alberta I definitely have added weight to my trucks in the past. Put it over the wheels or as far back as you can. I don’t need to add weight to my pw because the topper and my rock sliders already added about 800lbs.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I live 2 miles up an 8-10% grade from the main highway. There are several curves on the way up or down. So I keep 5 bags of sand at 70 lbs each all the way in the back of the 6'4" bed. I also have Blizzak tires mounted. I'm not worried about traction to get going, what I worry about is having to brake in a curve while going down my road when it's snow covered maybe with some ice patches. For example, there are lots of deer around here that seem to love jumping in front of a vehicle. Having that extra weight in the bed should keep the ass end from pointing in the wrong direction under braking in a curve.
Hee hee, try going down sloped mountain roads in a Humvee with a 3/4 ton loaded trailer pushing you. We would pull the temp relay, to keep the fan running 100% of the time, put Hummers (trucks) in low, and crawl down them hills. I say, me thinks it was easier to climb then go down. Always a joy.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
We finally got a skiff of snow here. I told the kid that 4wd doesn’t mean 4wheel stop. Prudent driving is the best way to go. That being said it’s lots of fun to drive like an a$$hat in the snow just do it when it’s safe

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
We finally got a skiff of snow here. I told the kid that 4wd doesn’t mean 4wheel stop. Prudent driving is the best way to go. That being said it’s lots of fun to drive like an a$$hat in the snow just do it when it’s safe
Yep, turn off traction control, leave it in 2 wheel, and play slide the rear end all over the place, drift the corners. It is a great way to learn vehicle control, I always start new drivers in big open parking lots with some orange safety cones. You can learn a ton. Ice racing circuits are another great place to practice and learn vehicle control.

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
my back wheels spin on wet roads! tires are practically new, so i have to switch to AUTO 4 wheel drive. i get same gas milage but no more spinning or sliding. I'm in Kentucky.

when i lived up in NYS, i'd keep sand bags in the back during the winter. Pickups are just too light in the back.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Although I must say, when I hear a gunshot go off at least I know it's just some bubba dropping his dinner and not some banger dropping his rival.
That's why city folk use a silencer as to not tip off the any of the bangers or neighbors, a̶l̶s̶o̶ ̶g̶i̶v̶e̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶h̶i̶d̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶o̶d̶i̶e̶s̶ .. LOL

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That's why city folk use a silencer as to not tip off the any of the bangers or neighbors, a̶l̶s̶o̶ ̶g̶i̶v̶e̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶t̶i̶m̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶h̶i̶d̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶o̶d̶i̶e̶s̶ .. LOL
As funny as that is...really... :laughing1:...a suppressor only attenuates the sound of a gunshot by about 20-35 dB. Most firearms emit 150-175 dB when fired, so in reality a suppressor only reduces the sound by about 20%. Still enough to damage your hearing without earplugs, and can definitely be heard around the block. :gr_guns:

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I swore an oath to defend my country, Not enslave it ;) RCMP are now a bunch of brownshirts
What!? Are you saying Dudley Doright is a myth? I am shocked to my core. I suppose next you'll be telling us that Snidley Whiplash is fictional, too.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You are dead wrong. Take a look at my 1996 2500 V10 with factory paint. ZERO rust. Clean matters far more than anything else.

This picture was taken this summer. 25 years of being daily driven and parked in a heated garage.
View attachment 533063
I don't know about the rust thing, but that is a nice rig.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't care what people say; pickups- being fairly light in the back-end, benefit from having weight in the bed. Just because you may have 4WD, you shouldn't need it every time the road is slick. Besides; for a lot of people, running 4WD when it really isn't needed can cause a little bit of overconfidence and get you in the ditch faster than anything. Been there, done that. Sure, good tires help but I would always run with about 4 to 5 bags of good ole Quikrete TubeSand from Home Depot in my bed and I never had a single problem with stopping distance or 2WD traction for the entire 15 years of driving I did in Colorado.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
The theory is more weight = more friction but more weight also = more momentum so it is kind of a trade off. Good tires are essential and knowing the snow difference in the snow varies from region to region

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I don't care what people say; pickups- being fairly light in the back-end, benefit from having weight in the bed. Just because you may have 4WD, you shouldn't need it every time the road is slick. Besides; for a lot of people, running 4WD when it really isn't needed can cause a little bit of overconfidence and get you in the ditch faster than anything. Been there, done that. Sure, good tires help but I would always run with about 4 to 5 bags of good ole Quikrete TubeSand from Home Depot in my bed and I never had a single problem with stopping distance or 2WD traction for the entire 15 years of driving I did in Colorado.
Go weigh you truck. With the canopy and standard tools etc, I am almost a perfect 50 50 weight distribution. That is what most high end sports cars shoot for. I don’t need to add more weight in the back, even in 2 wheel drive. If the rear is heavier than the front it will want to swap ends big time on slipperry roads.

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
As funny as that is...really... :laughing1:...a suppressor only attenuates the sound of a gunshot by about 20-35 dB. Most firearms emit 150-175 dB when fired, so in reality a suppressor only reduces the sound by about 20%. Still enough to damage your hearing without earplugs, and can definitely be heard around the block. :gr_guns:
What in the world does that have to do with weight in the bed..................

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
4040kgs don know what it is front to back. Weighted on a gravel truck scale at work.