Adding camper shell to 18,1500,4x4 QC . Looking for replacement spring .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

geezer336

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello fellas . Camper shell will weight around 600-700 lbs with simple plywood beds made in the bed . I also pull a TT or utility trailer with SXS . Each has a tongue weight of 350 ish lbs . I do use a WDH with the TT .
I figure the truck will settle some with the shell on it and honestly like a little rear rake . I am also considering raising the front a hair ,1 inch so the front air foil under the bumper don't rub the roads at deer camp .
This is my daily driver so a good ride is needed . I have stock tires and wont be getting taller tires but will increase the load rating .
This is my first truck with coils spring rear suspension . I like it just fine . I know that I will need to do something for the rear when I get the Belair type camper shell installed .
I do no 4 wheeling or anything like that I just want the truck set up correctly for what I use it for .
Any help would be great .
Looks like the TTC1211"s are maybe a good one ? I want to keep a small rake with the camper on and be around level when hooked to a trailer .
Thanks .

JMod45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
I've been looking into all of the options for rear springs over the last few weeks due to the tongue weight of my TT.

The cheapest option is airlift 1000, or the upgraded airlift 1000hd with higher capacity. These go inside the coil springs, and you can change the pressure for the added weight.
Lots of people on the forums use them, and love them. Downside is that you have to change the pressure while unloaded. Might be difficult to unload a camper shell, just for adjusting height.

The tuftruck springs is another option. I have a stock height 2wd, which only gave me two options. I believe the 4wd has a few more, as well as the variable spring.
Benefit to these is no adjustments. Once they are in, you are finished. If you get the variable, you should get the soft ride of a stock truck when unloaded.

There is an option called timbrens, sumosprings makes a similar design. This was my initial plan on my truck, but there are too many mixed reviews on them. That is why I backed out of this idea.

The best option in my opinion (I just ordered some Monday) is Timber grove airbags. Air lift has these available also, but talking with timber grove, made me want to buy from him.
These bags go outside of your coil springs, in place of the rubber bump stop, and can be adjusted after the load is on the truck. Since you are talking about having a camper shell, and switching between different trailers, I think this would be your best bet. Then you can fine tune the height, regardless of which setup you are going with for that day.

Nobody says you can't buy more than one of these either. Some people have gotten the upgraded coil springs, and still added airbags.

OP
OP
geezer336

geezer336

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks jMod45 . You know I honestly didn't even consider the air bag systems . That may be the ticket ! We are looking into maybe selling the TT and going with the topper so we can take the boat or SXS and have a somewhat comfy place to lay down , and secure some gear .

OP
OP
geezer336

geezer336

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone one else care to share what they did to offset the 6-700 lbs in the bed ?

oldsparky

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
I put a shell on my 19 classic. Then added the TuffS truck springs 1223 they stiffened up the rear suspension. Installation is a breeze. If I had it to do over I would go with their 1211 model. mine raised the stock height a little. if you call Tufftruck they will help you a lot. very nice people. if you search oldsparky you can see my posts about springs.