Adding DRL'S to ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
grozier

grozier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just don’t be one of the idiots I see all the time driving around at night with DRL’s on and no taillights.
Lol. No mine are set to auto so they come on without me.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
grozier

grozier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I got the drl to work but I cant get the option for on and off in my settings menu even though its enabled to let me turn them off and on. Also do you have the switchback leds or just normal?

vhmike73

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500 Laramie Limited
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I got the drl to work but I cant get the option for on and off in my settings menu even though its enabled to let me turn them off and on. Also do you have the switchback leds or just normal?

grozier: what switchback bulbs are you using? And are your DRLs set to "Parking Lights as DRL" and they operate as white? The switchback LED bulbs I have will only illuminate amber in DRL mode, so I'm curious if another brand might work. They DO illuminate white in normal operation (ie, as marker/parking lights with the lights fully on), and switch to amber for turn signals.

The bulbs I have were purchased originally for my F150- they're "ClaraLux CL65" 3157 bulbs. Can you give the part info you're using if they're operating as White DRL?

One thing I HAVE NOT tried is to enable/disable the DRLs via the 8.4 screen, though I do have the option enabled via AlfaOBD. All I know is that they operate in whichever location I've enabled in AlfaOBD (currently set to my Fog light location).

OP
OP
grozier

grozier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
grozier: what switchback bulbs are you using? And are your DRLs set to "Parking Lights as DRL" and they operate as white? The switchback LED bulbs I have will only illuminate amber in DRL mode, so I'm curious if another brand might work. They DO illuminate white in normal operation (ie, as marker/parking lights with the lights fully on), and switch to amber for turn signals.

The bulbs I have were purchased originally for my F150- they're "ClaraLux CL65" 3157 bulbs. Can you give the part info you're using if they're operating as White DRL?

One thing I HAVE NOT tried is to enable/disable the DRLs via the 8.4 screen, though I do have the option enabled via AlfaOBD. All I know is that they operate in whichever location I've enabled in AlfaOBD (currently set to my Fog light location).
I've got projectors so I have the led board from diode dynamics installed. I haven't taken the headlight assembly out yet to see if I've wired them up wrong. I think I have a wire crossed and that's why my drls are amber instead of white.

vhmike73

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Ahhh...that would make for a VERY different setup than the Quads!

I guess my search for a switchback that will operate White as DRL will continue. Thanks grozier!

LoneStarSilver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I took my 2018, that has the halogen quads, into the dealer with the sheet from Mopar and they turned them on for me. I was told that the high beams come on at 50% for the DRL's but that was incorrect. My low beams come on at about 75% anytime I am in anything but park. They also turn off if I apply the parking brake. Today I was parked in front of a store that had full length windows and noticed that when I turned on my blinker that particular light would turn off that headlight while the blinker is blinking. Once the blinker is turned off the headlight comes back on.

Opie011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Ahhh...that would make for a VERY different setup than the Quads!

I guess my search for a switchback that will operate White as DRL will continue. Thanks grozier!
Curious to what you find out. I've been searching for a while to find a DRL that operates white for a 3157 bulb but haven't found anything.

vhmike73

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The problem is that there are so many choices on Amazon but in digging through reviews, any mention of the bulbs in question running strictly as DRL seems to always come back to "amber only as DRL", but white in parking light mode (with amber turn signal). It doesn't help that most people taking the time to write a review are conflating the normal park or marker light functionality as "DRL".

I guess I'll just leave my DRLs set to my fog light position until I can spot a model here on the forums or in some review (where the reviewer is actually knowledgeable!) that shows a bulb that will function as I'm hoping.

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I took my 2018, that has the halogen quads, into the dealer with the sheet from Mopar and they turned them on for me. I was told that the high beams come on at 50% for the DRL's but that was incorrect. My low beams come on at about 75% anytime I am in anything but park. They also turn off if I apply the parking brake. Today I was parked in front of a store that had full length windows and noticed that when I turned on my blinker that particular light would turn off that headlight while the blinker is blinking. Once the blinker is turned off the headlight comes back on.

Q. What 'sheet from Mopar' do you have?

Q. Based on your 75% comment, what happens with the drl during the other 25% of the time?

I had read that a dril light going off when the turn signal activates is normal. Not sure I light that part of the feature.
Q. Do both lights go out if you turn on the hazard lights?

Thanks

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Q. What 'sheet from Mopar' do you have?

Q. Based on your 75% comment, what happens with the drl during the other 25% of the time?

I had read that a dril light going off when the turn signal activates is normal. Not sure I light that part of the feature.
Q. Do both lights go out if you turn on the hazard lights?

Thanks

Build sheet: What the truck came with from the factory showing the options. I haven't checked myself, but from what I remember, the manufacturers use to have a list of everything a vehicle has on a sheet, that they would place underneath one of the front seats.

Daytime Running Lights run at about 50% power that they would be normally. He was saying the DRL seems to be working at about 75% power level vs. 50% power level.

The daytime running light shuts off when the blinker is activated so that the turn signal can be seen by other drivers and not washed out by the DRL. With hazard lights activated, they normally do not shut off from what I've seen on other vehicles.

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So with just purchasing the $49 AlfaOBD app I can make these changes to my halogen quads? Exactly what else can this add to my truck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
I had the dealer activate mine on my 16 sport. They update the sales code to your vin. This is nice because your DRL sales code will always be active whenever the dealer does software updates on your truck.

Here are the codes: https://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/bbg/pdf/dddpdrl.pdf

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One thing I like about the alfaobd is you have the ability to turn them on and off with the 8.4 screen

CAF5805A-DA04-4F35-B655-AE7E02BF2B26.jpeg

radkawi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
My truck is a 14 but the DRL's have successfully added to the 13 to18 trucks with the tool.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Activated mine using Alpha as well and do have the option in the 8.4 to turn on/off. I chose the turn signal location as I had my factory projectors set up by RetroShop for HIDs and also added Morimoto LED fogs. I cannot however figure out how to use the lower voltage setting. Used the process in the Alpha thread but still burning full bright. Not sure why though.

radkawi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I had the dealer activate mine on my 16 sport. They update the sales code to your vin. This is nice because your DRL sales code will always be active whenever the dealer does software updates on your truck.

Here are the codes: https://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/bbg/pdf/dddpdrl.pdf

Just stating for reference. Every option I have provisioned using this tool works even after two recall visits and a UConnect software update on the last. YMMV but for me, there has not been an issue with the dealer overwriting my changes.

KnurledNut

SemperFi
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The stealership activated the DRL's when I went in for a recall. I also added a set in the bumper.

KZnEd8c.jpg

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just stating for reference. Every option I have provisioned using this tool works even after two recall visits and a UConnect software update on the last. YMMV but for me, there has not been an issue with the dealer overwriting my changes.
Changes will only get overwritten if the update requires flashing the module where the changes were made. Most of the stuff we change with Alfa is in the bcm, which none of the latest updates should touch (autopark might, depending on your factory configuration)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Changes will only get overwritten if the update requires flashing the module where the changes were made. Most of the stuff we change with Alfa is in the bcm, which none of the latest updates should touch (autopark might, depending on your factory configuration)

That's good news, I'm going in for my recalls 01/03/19

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

When I had the BTSI recall done (bcm programming), everything stayed. The only thing is, all my custom settings in the radio defaulted. For example: the DRLs were checked to off, horn beep on lock was set and I had it not set, unlock drivers door on first press was set when I had it set to unlock all, etc.