Adding homelink

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Azmp1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hi All,
I cant seem to get the homelink working, that i've added as part of the overhead console install. Have the power/ground and linbus wires connected, but nothing is happening. The question i have is, for the trucks that never had homeling (no harness either), do they need to get enabled via alfaOBD first? What throws me off, are two things, first, all the videos i've seen, people have the 7" screen cluster, where there would be a homelink setup options, but i have the basic cluster and there is no menu there for homelink and two, i dont even get backlight come on the homelink when its connected. Why would that be? I would think just the having power to it, should have, at least backlight work on the buttons? Or maybe i just have a broken module... Thank you in advance.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hi All,
I cant seem to get the homelink working, that i've added as part of the overhead console install. Have the power/ground and linbus wires connected, but nothing is happening. The question i have is, for the trucks that never had homeling (no harness either), do they need to get enabled via alfaOBD first? What throws me off, are two things, first, all the videos i've seen, people have the 7" screen cluster, where there would be a homelink setup options, but i have the basic cluster and there is no menu there for homelink and two, i dont even get backlight come on the homelink when its connected. Why would that be? I would think just the having power to it, should have, at least backlight work on the buttons? Or maybe i just have a broken module... Thank you in advance.
Possibly broken. Plus it must be 2013+ for trucks after 2013. The 2009-2012 one will work but will not show messages in the cluster for learning/transmitting. There aren't any homelink menus in the cluster or radio, just notifications.

OP
OP
Azmp1

Azmp1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Possibly broken. Plus it must be 2013+ for trucks after 2013. The 2009-2012 one will work but will not show messages in the cluster for learning/transmitting. There aren't any homelink menus in the cluster or radio, just notifications.
Figured it out. Looks like i have the pre 2013 moduie.. damn it. Should have checked here before buying, so just ordered a correct one. Still one more question, will it needs to programmed, through AlfaOBD, since my car didnt have the console and harness. Thank you for your help again!!

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Figured it out. Looks like i have the pre 2013 moduie.. damn it. Should have checked here before buying, so just ordered a correct one. Still one more question, will it needs to programmed, through AlfaOBD, since my car didnt have the console and harness. Thank you for your help again!!
That I'm not sure. I had a console without homlink (compass only) and it was plug and play. I know there are compass module settings you can change in AlfaOBD (like installed orientation to get a correct compass heading) so my answer is "maybe"...

OP
OP
Azmp1

Azmp1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
That I'm not sure. I had a console without homlink (compass only) and it was plug and play. I know there are compass module settings you can change in AlfaOBD (like installed orientation to get a correct compass heading) so my answer is "maybe"...
ok.. im struggling here hahah. Got the correct module (from a 2104 truck, same as mine). Have it connected, backlight is now on, on the buttons, so power is correct and im sure im tapping the right wire for lin bus, but nothing comes up on the screen when i press buttons... HELP!

edit: I didn’t have compass module either, so that makes me think I may need to enabled it. I just got Alfaobd and MX+ and did a EVIC cluster milage sync, so no I have an EVIC cluster and still no homelink messages. what I don’t know is where to go to enable compass module. If anyone can point me to it I’d really appreciate it. Thanks!

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
ok.. im struggling here hahah. Got the correct module (from a 2104 truck, same as mine). Have it connected, backlight is now on, on the buttons, so power is correct and im sure im tapping the right wire for lin bus, but nothing comes up on the screen when i press buttons... HELP!

edit: I didn’t have compass module either, so that makes me think I may need to enabled it. I just got Alfaobd and MX+ and did a EVIC cluster milage sync, so no I have an EVIC cluster and still no homelink messages. what I don’t know is where to go to enable compass module. If anyone can point me to it I’d really appreciate it. Thanks!
AlfaOBD settings to change:

Car Config change ->

Lin and Misc-Electronic Overhead Module(EOM) ->

value,YES

OP
OP
Azmp1

Azmp1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
AlfaOBD settings to change:

Car Config change ->

Lin and Misc-Electronic Overhead Module(EOM) ->

value,YES

Found it, and that’s exactly what it was! Once enabled I’m now getting homelink messages and was able to program it successfully!

So for reference for others if no compass module originally, meaning must do this in order to have homelink enabled.
Thank you again man!

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Found it, and that’s exactly what it was! Once enabled I’m now getting homelink messages and was able to program it successfully!

So for reference for others if no compass module originally, meaning must do this in order to have homelink enabled.
Thank you again man!
Anytime!

OP
OP
Azmp1

Azmp1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
@SitKneelBend another question. Since i now have a working compass module, how do i get the compass heading on to the EVIC screen, is that another AlfaOBD adaptation?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
@SitKneelBend another question. Since i now have a working compass module, how do i get the compass heading on to the EVIC screen, is that another AlfaOBD adaptation?
Here's what @Jimmy07 verified for me as a known good configuration when I was troubleshooting a compass heading issue.

VehConfig 3 display compass heading present- yes

LIN and misc compass mounting orientation- upside down

LIN and misc EOM present- yes

LIN and misc compass mounting angle- 0 degrees

CustSetMenu 1 compass calibration CSM- yes

OP
OP
Azmp1

Azmp1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Here's what @Jimmy07 verified for me as a known good configuration when I was troubleshooting a compass heading issue.

VehConfig 3 display compass heading present- yes

LIN and misc compass mounting orientation- upside down

LIN and misc EOM present- yes

LIN and misc compass mounting angle- 0 degrees

CustSetMenu 1 compass calibration CSM- yes
OK thanks, i will try!

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Right below "Calibration CSM" , there is another display item you may want to add, too: "Compass Variance CSM Present: Yes".

If that is way off, it could be reason for flakey operation.

OP
OP
Azmp1

Azmp1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So, i have it all set, heading on EVIC is there now as well, but the compass doesnt seem to be functioning correctly. I drove around a bit and just switches between N and NE and not correctly either. I double checked all the setting through Alfa, all look to be set correctly. Did i miss something else, maybe around calibration? Thanks!

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So, i have it all set, heading on EVIC is there now as well, but the compass doesnt seem to be functioning correctly. I drove around a bit and just switches between N and NE and not correctly either. I double checked all the setting through Alfa, all look to be set correctly. Did i miss something else, maybe around calibration? Thanks!
It may require calibration. I was told a long time ago the process is as follows:

"Find a place to drive around in tight circles until the heading displays correctly (should be 3 to 5 times)."

I've also been told that this needs to be done with the drivers door open and left-hand turns only.

OP
OP
Azmp1

Azmp1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It may require calibration. I was told a long time ago the process is as follows:

"Find a place to drive around in tight circles until the heading displays correctly (should be 3 to 5 times)."

I've also been told that this needs to be done with the drivers door open and left-hand turns only.
It actually makes sense (aside from the open door haha). I will try, thanks!

OP
OP
Azmp1

Azmp1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
@SitKneelBend It worked, as it just needed calibration, as you stated. The only caveat, is you have to put the compass in the calibration mode, via compass settings on uconnect, so for me, since i already had the aftermarket unit in, i had to swap the uniconnect back in, to be able to that, as it cannot be done via cluster settings. So hopefully, this will be note for anyone with aftermarket units. I was going to throw my uconnect on ebay, but will just keep it, if i ever have the need to recalibrate. Also, another note, the compass offset must match the region you're (can be looked up on the web) and thats another setting that can only be accessed through uconnect.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
@SitKneelBend It worked, as it just needed calibration, as you stated. The only caveat, is you have to put the compass in the calibration mode, via compass settings on uconnect, so for me, since i already had the aftermarket unit in, i had to swap the uniconnect back in, to be able to that, as it cannot be done via cluster settings. So hopefully, this will be note for anyone with aftermarket units. I was going to throw my uconnect on ebay, but will just keep it, if i ever have the need to recalibrate. Also, another note, the compass offset must match the region you're (can be looked up on the web) and thats another setting that can only be accessed through uconnect.
Interesting, I've never seen that setting. What year is your truck again?

OP
OP
Azmp1

Azmp1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Interesting, I've never seen that setting. What year is your truck again?
It’s 2014. The compass settings are under the settings menu on unconnect. I’d take a picture, but I’ve swapped the android unit back already