Adding trailer brake option

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

retep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecoDiesel
I have just installed the Mopar trailer brake option. Getting all three supplied screws in is next near to impossible. You will get two in, but the third screw on the top left creates a blue cloud of swear words. I have read many folks just add the two screws and call it a day. But I had a thought.... I have bought the nut insert tool at Harbor Freight for another project. It came with an assortment of nuts ( 6-32, 8-32, 10-24, and 1/4-20 inserts) What if I drilled out the three holes and added either a 8-32 or 10-24 nut insert and put loctite on the bolt.

Any one else tried this?

Peter

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
This project is on my agenda... I need to follow this thread. I actually figured if it got to ugly and the neighbors went to complaining, I'd use zip ties LOL

What tool are you talking about using? Got a link?

OP
OP
retep

retep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecoDiesel

clay282

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Somehow I have never used a rivet gun.

OP
OP
retep

retep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecoDiesel
Somehow I have never used a rivet gun.

It is all good. One practice with a scrap piece of metal will make you confident enough to conquer the world. I will be spending time tomorrow on the truck, so I will let you know if it works out.

werdna1977

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
This project is on my agenda... I need to follow this thread. I actually figured if it got to ugly and the neighbors went to complaining, I'd use zip ties LOL

What tool are you talking about using? Got a link?

I used zip ties in my 15 ram for the third screw lol

It is still holding up 3.5 years later and doesnt rattle at all

clay282

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have a question maybe someone knows... I understand that it's going to throw a code once it's hooked up before it gets programmed. If I put it in 1 weekend and then it takes a week or 2 to get into the dealer to program it... will that long a time frame cause any issues? The one I purchased the truck from said $60 to program so it would be worth the wait.

killerrats704

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I took on this project shortly after buying my 2015 Sport. I also used a zip tie for the third bolt.

The controller did not throw a code, the truck simply ignored it's existence until the Sales Code was activated by the Stealership. Cost was about $70 to activate it.

werdna1977

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a question maybe someone knows... I understand that it's going to throw a code once it's hooked up before it gets programmed. If I put it in 1 weekend and then it takes a week or 2 to get into the dealer to program it... will that long a time frame cause any issues? The one I purchased the truck from said $60 to program so it would be worth the wait.

No it will be fine. i did that in my 15 and didnt have an issue

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I bought the Mopar brake kit off of eBay and it (physically) installed with no problems. All three screws were easy to access and went in smoothly.

Now... For the wiring part... I had to strip back a couple of wire ties, a bunch of wrapping tape, and reroute part of the wiring harness to get enough slack to get the plugs installed on the brake unit. I almost think that I had the wrong under-dash harness for as much wiring re-location as I had to. Afterwards I just got some small split-tubing out of my junk box and re-wrapped the wires and tied them back up out of the way. I have a 2012 and don't care if the brake setting shows up on the EVIC so no dealer programming was necessary, just plug and pray.

RobertRay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did a quick but thorough examination of the mounting, and came to the conclusion that the metal bracket performs no function other than mounting. No heat sink effect, No grounding or electrical function, so I just ty-wrapped mine in instead of screws to get it installed in time for my recall appointment.

As far as the programming, I was quoted $55 dollars in Ontario OR, but since they had to flash a recall at the same time, they only charged $22 dollars for the XHC code. It did take a day for the radio to show the trailer brake settings but the dash console had the trailer brakes shown the second I pinched the slider.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca