Advice on air supension delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryman0423

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello!

2013 Ram 1500 Laramie. 190K miles. 4th compressor needed, previous were in warranty. Dealer wants $5200 to replace. My thoughts are it's time to pull and replace with coil overs. I'm primarily a highway driver but I do have a 30ft boat that weighs about 5k lbs that I pull occasionally. I do like the air suspension but suspect it will be problematic now that it's out of pocket.

What shocks and springs do you all recommend to get to a similar ride hieght to Offroad 1 and softness of the air suspension? Please talk to me like I'm a toddler on this stuff. LOL I am not super mechanically inclined. I found a shop who will do it, they just need me to get the parts and find a way to delete it from the truck. I assume this alphaOBD is something I can probably find and or purchase.

Monroe and Air delete seem to have kits for this vehicle that are under 1K for the monroe, air delete is closer to 2k. has onyone tried them? perhaps something a little higher quality?

Thanks in advance!

T. Anders

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I ripped out my air suspension last year with a Bilstein kit from airdelete. I went with the fronts set at 2.1" and I went with a +1" rear spring with added tow capacity. Although I didn't measure, it appears to me to now sit pretty similar to the offroad 1 setting. It wasn't too bad to install and probably took 4 hours or so with me going pretty slowly. I also rented the tool for getting rid of the error codes. I'm pretty happy with the ride, but I'll admit it doesn't ride as nice as the air suspension did. Its definitely rides more like a truck now.

IMG_4265.jpg

OP
OP
R

Ryman0423

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your truck looks exactly like mine, minus the ram boxes. Great looking ride!

Thanks for the info. I think it's time to transition to a luxury sedan for a daily driver. Give the truck some rest reps. I can live with a truck like ride if it's only used for towing and hauling! I looked at trading it in. But I just replaced the cam and lifters this year and hoping to get 275K miles out of it. It still looks great!

smithjl0822

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 with Supercharger
I ripped out my air suspension last year with a Bilstein kit from airdelete. I went with the fronts set at 2.1" and I went with a +1" rear spring with added tow capacity. Although I didn't measure, it appears to me to now sit pretty similar to the offroad 1 setting. It wasn't too bad to install and probably took 4 hours or so with me going pretty slowly. I also rented the tool for getting rid of the error codes. I'm pretty happy with the ride, but I'll admit it doesn't ride as nice as the air suspension did. Its definitely rides more like a truck now.

View attachment 528992
What tool did you have to rent to get ride of the error codes? At first the dealer told me they could do it, now they tell me Chrysler did not let them have that access to the suspension sales codes.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Maybe someone can confirm, but I believe Alfaobd can delete the air suspension from the BCM...

OP
OP
R

Ryman0423

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
He's talking about alfaobd....the air suspension delete kit allows you to rent it for a $250 deposit. I did it myself, it took about 15 minutes. Super easy. I had a shop do the labor of swapping stuff. It cost only $400 for that labor. Total with the upgraded front and back bilstien and labor was around 1900. The dealer quoted $5,000. Find a mechanic to do the nuts and bolts with the air delete. Save yourself 30 minutes of labor and delete it and pull fuzes yourself. The instructions are easy!