Advice on Tire Chains/Cables ....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SaintlySins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Hi All,

2021 Limited EcoDiesel with 22" rims

Here's the dillio ...
I'm considering getting a good set of Winter/Snow tires for the stock rim - however, where I live I won't need them more than a few times a winter, if I need them at all as I've the option to not leave the house for a few days after a storm and I'll be just fine.

But here's the rub ... a majority of my family has migrated to the mountains just west of Denver and to head up the mountain requires (mandated) tire chains/cables when snowing (common occurrences with lots of accumulation) few times this winter for holidays and more in Evergreen and in Boulder, CO.

Who knows what Snow Chains/Cables will be the best option on those Big Rim/Low Profile tires ?
Will raising the suspension prevent the chains/cables from scraping the wheel wells (In Aero Mode height, tires rub in max turning angle)

I don't want to purchase a whole set of 18" rims with narrower snow tires - but if that option is 60% better in both effectiveness with minimal damage to the wheel wells, please post up and guide me in the right direction.

Thank you in advance.

Gregory

P.S. --- I did search the forums for these answers, yet no one gets as specific as I did and there are a lot of posts complaining about chains ruining brake parts.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Just run chains on the rear only. The guys ruining brake parts are running them too low on the sidewall on the inside. The inside should be Hooked on the last link so nothing is loose and all adjustment should be done on the outside. Chains with cams are easier to get and keep tight. Get a set of spider bungies to hold loose bits tight on the front. I've seen cheap quality chains break and flail around. Can also happen on good ones, but usually doesn't unless they're badly worn. Nothing can be done about that except buying a good set and replacing them once worn out. Cables are easier to mount,do less damage when they fail and are lighter so easier to load in and out of the truck so if it's more about meeting regulations and less about needing traction then it's a good option. I haven't seen chains on 22s, so not sure about wheel damage. I run them on 20s no problem.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Your years Ram owners manual tells you exactly what you have to use with stock size tires

etrailer reads for my Ram

I have a 2016 Ram 1500 QC and I am looking for tire chains. I have the 27560R20 tires. I am concerned about the clearance of the brake parts. Is there a tire chain for my application with little room?

For your truck tire size of 275/60R20 the Titan Tire Chains part # TC2533 are going to be your best option. These chains install easily, provide great traction, and are priced great. The clearance required is less than the larger chains as well.

Be sure to check the owners manual of your truck to see if there are any tire chain restrictions for your vehicle.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Your years Ram owners manual tells you exactly what you have to use with stock size tires

I have a 2016 Ram 1500 QC and I am looking for tire chains. I have the 27560R20 tires. I am concerned about the clearance of the brake parts. Is there a tire chain for my application with little room?

For your truck tire size of 275/60R20 the Titan Tire Chains part # TC2533 are going to be your best option. These chains install easily, provide great traction, and are priced great. The clearance required is less than the larger chains as well.

Be sure to check the owners manual of your truck to see if there are any tire chain restrictions for your vehicle.
He has the 22s, which I believe are 285/45-22, but the op did not specify the tire size.

lighthawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
gas 6.4l
Just run chains on the rear only. The guys ruining brake parts are running them too low on the sidewall on the inside. The inside should be Hooked on the last link so nothing is loose and all adjustment should be done on the outside. Chains with cams are easier to get and keep tight. Get a set of spider bungies to hold loose bits tight on the front.
Great advice.

I grew up in Colorado and we chained up many times, as everyone had 2wd and studded tires. Fast forward 50 years and I'm looking to get chains for my 285/75 18's Falken Wildpeaks. We travel remote high altitude locations in the winter and have been advised to carry chains with our 4wd. In ten years I used them once, but was glad I had them.

Cables are tempting for their lightweight and ease of install, but I'm leaning towards getting a good old fashioned set of ladder chains for my 3500. My local NAPA has them for $200. Not cheap, but tougher than cables.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My chains are about as heavy duty as you can get because when I need them I really need them. If I was just meeting highway regs and had 4wd and decent tires I'd probably just have cables for show. Seems like the rules in Colorado are must carry a traction adder, but don't have to mount them unless less they deem it necessary. At the point it's deemed necessary the highway is borderline closed. Not like they'd leave it open when 4wd pickups with snow tires can't handle it.

lighthawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
gas 6.4l
My chains are about as heavy duty as you can get because when I need them I really need them. If I was just meeting highway regs and had 4wd and decent tires I'd probably just have cables for show.
Exactly right. I've never been asked to show chains in 30 years of skiing Donner Summit, but if I decide I want to chain up I want a sturdy chain. That's what you see hanging off the 18 wheelers.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have not put chains on my own private vehicles for at least 40 years
i have to look in a freezer for ice

I have read though the Ram 1500s that are stock have a clearance issue
so special traction devices may be needed

OP
OP
S

SaintlySins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel

Thanks for the input, but it won't work for me as with 22" stock times, the standard-factory tire is 285\45 22 ... ( my mistake not including the size).

And I'm curious to know the clearance if I raise the ride height with the Air Ride System.

OP
OP
S

SaintlySins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel

Thank you ... but I've looked through the manual and didn't find any endorsements or specifics on your chains.
Nor does it specify ride height which will certainly be a factor.
I'll look again using the On-Line version and do a word search - hope you're right.

OP
OP
S

SaintlySins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
He has the 22s, which I believe are 285/45-22, but the op did not specify the tire size.
You're right about the Stock Tire Size ... and right about not posting the specific size!

Thanks for adding clarity for me

OP
OP
S

SaintlySins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I have not put chains on my own private vehicles for at least 40 years
i have to look in a freezer for ice

I have read though the Ram 1500s that are stock have a clearance issue
so special traction devices may be needed
RIGHT ! ? ?

They acknowledge clearance issues - yet it's vague enough to assume there are answers, yet they're not sharing the precise solution.

Frustrating!

Hoping for better, more specific answer or solution.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
They do have traction devices explained in the Owner Manual

It has been a few years since i looked it up.
I think they mention that It is either
S type
Z type
U type
traction devices