After Market Brake Controler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dillardgl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 v6
Has anyone installed an aftermarket brake controller on a 2018 1500? Just wondering because I know that the factory controllers have to be programed in order to work. I had an aftermarket on my 2015 and it worked great.

Roll Tide Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I installed a Prodigy on my 17 1500. Only used it once for a seven mile trip pulling a new camper home. Was pretty easy to hook up also. Camper was too big for my truck and ended up trading for a 18 2500. It came with factory controller so I need to box up my P3 and put it up for sale.

Mcgruff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I had a basic $30 Reese controller on my old truck and then upgraded to a Prodigy P3 which was much better. On the new RAM I added a factory brake controller. 1) I didn't feel there wasn't a great place to put the aftermarket controller that wouldn't get in the way, 2) the integrated brake controller looks much better with the slider on the dash 3) settings are done right on the truck's computer screen and 4) the controller integrates with your trucks existing ABS and Stability Control System. That 4th point was the biggest one for me. IF you ever get into a situation where sway gets out of hand, the truck's computer is supposed to recognize this and apply appropriate braking to both the truck (left/right) and trailer to bring everything back in line. An aftermarket brake controller cannot do this.