Aftermarker backup camera install issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Azmp1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hi Folks, so one of the upgrades im doing is replacing my ra2 radio with the aftermarket chinese unit. Im pretty much done and everything is pretty good, except the back up camera. I have the backup camera all install and harness ran, but the problem i'm getting is the camera doesnt work when truck is on, with engine running, but does not when the car is in the run position, without engine started. As i shift to reverse with the engine not running (key position RUN) the camera turns on with a nice clear picture. However, once i start the engine and shift to reverse, all i get is black screen. Any thoughts as to why this is happening, or anyone had this issue when installing the aftermarket camera, with aftermarket headunit? Many thanks!!

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hi Folks, so one of the upgrades im doing is replacing my ra2 radio with the aftermarket chinese unit. Im pretty much done and everything is pretty good, except the back up camera. I have the backup camera all install and harness ran, but the problem i'm getting is the camera doesnt work when truck is on, with engine running, but does not when the car is in the run position, without engine started. As i shift to reverse with the engine not running (key position RUN) the camera turns on with a nice clear picture. However, once i start the engine and shift to reverse, all i get is black screen. Any thoughts as to why this is happening, or anyone had this issue when installing the aftermarket camera, with aftermarket headunit? Many thanks!!
It could be something as simple as a setting in the radio itself. Which radio are you using?

OP
OP
Azmp1

Azmp1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'm not familiar with that one but I'd look for a poorly worded setting referencing the camera as "original" or factory and switch it. I'm assuming their is an aftermarket camera input as well as an integrated OEM one.
Thanks, yes I’ve been playing around with it. The unit looks great, but definitely, there are annoying issues And this is one of them.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thanks, yes I’ve been playing around with it. The unit looks great, but definitely, there are annoying issues And this is one of them.
Also, it could be a physical connection issue if the radio supports multiple camera inputs. Possibly an aftermarket camera plugged into the wrong location? Finally, it could be a CANBUS setting if the radio has multiple options for it (like trim level options).

OP
OP
Azmp1

Azmp1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Also, it could be a physical connection issue if the radio supports multiple camera inputs. Possibly an aftermarket camera plugged into the wrong location? Finally, it could be a CANBUS setting if the radio has multiple options for it (like trim level options).
I think it had to do with having a right setting on the canbus decoder. The canbus decoder that came with the unit was faultly, so they sent me a new one, but the new one was a different brand (hiworld) and they kept telling me to use the wrong settings on which profile to chose. I think i finally found the right ones (which is for Dodge renegade, but it was the one that finally had the correct canbus communication). It still flickers here and there, but mostly works. I even get the dynamic lines now, which was a surprise. Plus i can now read canbus data and even the A/C screen changes values when i adjust any of the manual controls. So all good now.

OP
OP
Azmp1

Azmp1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So I bought it was better, but it wasn’t. after doing more research, it looks like it’s the voltage issue on the backup camera power line, as when the truck is on power fluctuates and needs to be stabilized. looks like there is voltage regulator that can be imstalled inline at the camera wire connection, into the reverse light lines. But, before i go and start purchasing, wanted to ask here, to see if anyone had this issue as well and which regulator they used, to fix the issue. Thanks!