Aftermarket head & back up camera Q

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Got one of those pop up touch screen units as a gift. I want to add a back up camera but the instructions do not cover installation. Has AV outs and that pink wire for rearview camera. What do I do with that pink wire? I know the camera/harness connects to the video and the reverse lights. What's the pink for?

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Hmm might be to tell the camera to turn on??? Can you link the instructions for both the camera and the head unit??

OP
OP
hotkarl

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Boss Audio...bare minimal instructions. Mixed reviews on Boss but it was a gift so I can't complain. I emailed Boss tech support 3x. 3 friggin times! No reply. The pink wire simply says camera.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dang that kinda sucks. Without seeing the instructions I cannot give any proper advice. Sorry man I am useless at this time.

OP
OP
hotkarl

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
No problem. Thanks for trying to help out. The installation instructions blow. Basically just tells you what can already be figured out. Does not tell you how to connect the camera. I'll keep digging.

BIGBREW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think that wire may need 12v when the truck goes into reverse to tell the head unit to switch over to camera mode. I just bought a rear view mirror camera. I am looking for a wire somewhere near the dash that shows +12v when the truck gets put into reverse. Anyone have a clue?

OP
OP
hotkarl

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
My bad. The wire is orange not pink. Says its the back up trigger.

OP
OP
hotkarl

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Evidently from what I've read so far, the wire on the deck goes to the reverse light wire on the harness. The rca's are self explanatory. Some have a ground or 2 that need to be connected as well.

OP
OP
hotkarl

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Screw it. I'm returning it. Can't figure it out and product support sucks. The person who gave it to me is cool with bringing it back. It's useless to me without the camera.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Screw it. I'm returning it. Can't figure it out and product support sucks. The person who gave it to me is cool with bringing it back. It's useless to me without the camera.

I have had a small bit of experience with the Boss audio stuff. I will not say they are crap, but their support does suck. Might be better if you got something a bit more expensive, and with a better brand reputation, like Kenwood, Clarion, Jenson, Pioneer, or Sony.

BIGBREW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
White/light green wire on the drivers fender is possibly 12V+ when you put it in reverse. I need to get a tester out and check just have not had a chance.

kwend

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
click here If you are using the PAC-Audio harness, then you have the reverse wire right at your finger tips. The harnerss ties into the CAN BUS system and gives you a reverse wire, parking brake, VSS, etc.

As previously stated, the reverse wire is needed so the screen knows when to switch to the back up camera video input signal.

OP
OP
hotkarl

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
I figured out the part about the reverse wire on the deck and where to splice it in. Now I'm waiting to hear back from manufacturer about the rest of the hook up and which camera to use. I want to do everything once. I don't want to install the deck and hafta pull it out again, and before I do anything at all I want to be certain it's all gonna work because I can still return it if it's not gonna fly.

BIGBREW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I found the wire for mine yesterday. There is a large wire loom on the drivers fender that goes to the fire wall. Open that sucker up and there are about 100 wires in there but there is a white/lt green wire in there. Have not tested it yet will do on saturday. Waiting for my camera to come in next week.

BIGBREW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yea that didn't work. I tested that wire with a test light and it did not give me a +12V when in reverse, it just set off a engine light. The light reset itself. Ill look for another source this week, will probably pick it up at my 7 pin.

OP
OP
hotkarl

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Found my issue and resolved it today. I was missing an entire harness kit that was supposed to be included with the radio. Evidently some dirtbag opened the box and removed it.
So I brought it back for an exchange. This time I opened the box and checked it before I left. All good.
Next weekend I'll shoot for the install.

BIGBREW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I hooked up the mirror. I just needed to hook up the + and -. I hooked up the camera in the back, I picked up the reverse + at the 7 pin (white/green) and the - was black. When I put mine in reverse it turns the camera on and sends the video feed and I get the image in my mirror. I did not need to hook up the reverse wire to the mirror.

OP
OP
hotkarl

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
The reverse wire on my '02 is purple with a black stripe. It's easily accessible by the back of the driver side wheel well. Easy run for the camera lead from the deck.

OP
OP
hotkarl

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Done. Did the install today. Deck and camera.
What. A. Pain. In. The. Ass.
Was not as easy as I thought it would be but it's done.
Everything works.

OP
OP
hotkarl

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
DISCLAIMER: do not buy anything by Boss Audio.
2 radios and 10 hours later I'm done. Ripped out the ************* and boxed it up for return.
What a waste of time. I could see maybe being the poor shlep that gets 1 bad out of the bunch but 2? Forget it. Next.

I'm gonna go with a better brand and a double din touch screen.
I feel horrible because this was a gift but I'm not taking a chance. Boss has a hit or miss reputation so screw it. And their tech support and customer service sucks.