Aftermarket Headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ADUBIS

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have aftermarket headlights that require the headlights to be removed to aim them. Big pain in the butt but I like the look. Anyone know of any aftermarket lights that have the factory style adjustment?IMG_5236.jpeg

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
These adjust just like the factory, but you use a #2 Philips screwdriver:

I'm guessing just about all aftermarket headlights use a similar set-up.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just bought a set of the AlphaRex 09-18 Ram Truck LUXX-Series LED Projector Headlights Alpha-Black.

I just couldn't stand the crappy light output of my OEM quads any longer.

They just came yesterday so I don't have them in yet but the installation video I watched showed aiming them using the OEM adjuster.

JamesCrowe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Morimoto or AlphaRex would be my go to. Upfit budget is currently used up so will be a year or two before I pull the trigger. The Morimoto adjust with a screw.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lights are in but I need to adjust them.

The AlphaRex installation video is garbage and glosses over several things that would good to know. I had to look a multiple installation videos from others and google multiple times to figure a few things out.

The first one being that if you just want to have your new headlights work the same way as your old ones you don't need to install the daytime runnings light wiring kit.
We have daytime running lights by law here so my truck has them. The only difference is it won't use the upper and lower daytime running lights strip on the Truck-LUXX headlights, it will use your high beam bulbs like the OEM lights. The Upper and Lower strips will come on when you turn your low beams on though, which is fine with me.

Second, you no longer need to reuse your turn signal bulb socket in your new lights. Just unplug and plug it into to new lights turn signal.

Third, they add a new connector to the headlight for your low / high beam lights that is not required if you don't add the excess "Daytime Running Lights" wiring kit. You can unplug that and save it with your unused DRL wiring kit.

Fourth, the low beam adjuster is not the same as your OEM lights. It uses a Phillips #2 blade screwdriver and it better have a long shaft because none of my screwdrivers would reach it. I ordered a 12" shaft (insert jokes here) to reach it. The length is overkill but I did not want to come up short again (insert more jokes here).

Overall the lights look great and the light output is way better than my old OEM lights but I still need to adjust them up a bit so I can really get the full picture. They seem to be good quality and did not fog when I power washed my truck when it was chilly out. So far, so good.

Tom Hemi 345

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I just bought a set of the AlphaRex 09-18 Ram Truck LUXX-Series LED Projector Headlights Alpha-Black.

I just couldn't stand the crappy light output of my OEM quads any longer.

They just came yesterday so I don't have them in yet but the installation video I watched showed aiming them using the OEM adjuster.
Really considering those lights . Am in the same ️ getting tired of my regular OEM quads . Let me know how the install went after you install them .

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I posted that Form lighting will soon be offering full LED housings for the 4th gen that will be plug and play for the quad trucks. They look similar to the alpharex options, but are far superior in output to the alpharex housings thanks to a superior projector design. Alpharex projectors have no real hotspot, which kills downrange visibility. Tons of foreground, no distance. My thread has a link to the Instagram video that shows high and low beam.
These lights are no joke in terms of output. Offering lux readings that almost match aftermarket projectors from morimoto and NHK.

Attachments

• PXL_20231106_163827522.jpg
    PXL_20231106_163827522.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20231106_163706087.jpg
    PXL_20231106_163706087.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 17

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Really considering those lights . Am in the same ️ getting tired of my regular OEM quads . Let me know how the install went after you install them .
LOL. See post #6. They are in. I adjusted them yesterday in my work parkade. I like them and the light output is way better than my OEM quads.

The cut off is noticeable but doesn't bother me.

AlphaRex makes a full LED set a step above my Truck LUXX lights but they were another $600 CAD or so. The reviews I read on those were great too but get your wallet out. My Truck LUXX lights were $1170 CAD (I think they are $850ish US) so I really didn't want to drop any more cash.

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the update. So to be clear us Classic lowers with OEM halogens can go to these LRD projector lights?

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One thing I noticed the other day with the AlphaRex Truck Luxx LED lights is that without the daytime running lights harness installed the lights don't act exactly the same as the OEM lights (with DRL's enabled).

With just the parking lights on, like you would run when sunset is approaching, I thought it was just running the DRL upper and lower LED strips and parking lights on the AlphaRex lights but as soon as I put it in gear the DRL's come back on. I don't believe the DRL's would come on with the OEM lights with the parking lights on, at least every Ram I see doing this with stock lights just has the parking lights on. This makes the parking light function kind of useless as the DRL's on the Alpha lights are your high beams (same as OEM) but they are full brightness where they would only be half brightness (or something like that) on the OEM lights.

Something to be aware of in low light conditions. I would use the parking lights often when driving, now I will just need to turn the headlights on completely so I don't blind other drivers with the high beams.

I might just have to wire in the DRL kit that comes with the AlphaRex lights to get around this but I really don't want to.

Last edited:

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
D
One thing I noticed the other day with the AlphaRex Truck Luxx LED lights is that without the daytime running lights harness installed the lights don't act exactly the same as the OEM lights (with DRL's enabled).

With just the parking lights on, like you would run when sunset is approaching, I thought it was just running the DRL upper and lower LED strips and parking lights on the AlphaRex lights but as soon as I put it in gear the DRL's come back on. I don't believe the DRL's would come on with the OEM lights with the parking lights on, at least every Ram I see doing this with stock lights just has the parking lights on. This makes the parking light function kind of useless as the DRL's on the Alpha lights are your high beams (same as OEM) but they are full brightness where they would only be half brightness (or something like that) on the OEM lights.

Something to be aware of in low light conditions. I would use the parking lights often when driving, now I will just need to turn the headlights on completely so I don't blind other drivers with the high beams.

I might just have to wire in the DRL kit that comes with the AlphaRex lights to get around this but I really don't want to.
Depends on how your truck is configured. If your truck is Canadian, they used the high beam as the drl. US spec'd trucks used the turn signal as the drl. If running anything other than halogen bulbs. You should change your drl location to the turn signals so as not to blind anyone.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would have to check but I am fairly sure that DRL's in Canada can't be turn signal bulbs.

I am not too concerned about blinding people in the daytime but in low light conditions I will just have to turn my headlights on and not my parking lights so they switch to low beams and off highs.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would have to check but I am fairly sure that DRL's in Canada can't be turn signal bulbs.

I am not too concerned about blinding people in the daytime but in low light conditions I will just have to turn my headlights on and not my parking lights so they switch to low beams and off highs.
The morimoto 2 stroke 3.0 is a dual function bulb. When it detects the lower output of a drl, it kicks the brightness down to function as a drl. They're pricey, but the best option if you want to run led bulbs. Even in the day time, full brightness high beam LED are insanely bright when shining directly at you.