Aftermarket Wheel Skins - Will they scratch my wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

670hoth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2017 Ram Black Out Edition with the satin black 20" wheels. I don't like the satin black and want to put on the aftermarket gloss black wheel skins like the ones in the link below. Does anyone know if installing/removing these will scratch my wheels? If I want to go back to satin black I want to be able to remove these and not have any scratches. Thanks

51qjxL5xhHL._AC_.jpg

Wirerat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used wheel skins on my son's camry. They didn't scratch the wheels at all. Only issue is you need to remove them and keep the brake dust cleaned out to prevent corrosion.

Make sure you have the alloy wheels. Those skins will not fit if your wheels have the plastic cladding. I know the chrome uses cladding. Not sure about the satin.

OP
OP

670hoth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I used wheel skins on my son's camry. They didn't scratch the wheels at all. Only issue is you need to remove them and keep the brake dust cleaned out to prevent corrosion.

Make sure you have the alloy wheels. Those skins will not fit if your wheels have the plastic cladding. I know the chrome uses cladding. Not sure about the satin.
Hello, My wheels are definitely aluminum but it seems like all aluminum wheels made not look like they have cladding. It doesn't make sense that these would not the factory aluminum wheels

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hard to understand what you are trying to communicate,these should not scratch your wheels. Install over clean wheels.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you installing these wheel skins, on your factory aluminum wheels, so they don't get scratched during a tire install, my wheels have the stick-on weights on the inside of the wheel, you would need to have them free of brake dust and wax?

OP
OP

670hoth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No, I am installing them because I want gloss black wheels instead of Matte Black. I had these on a Jeep Patriot and they were great but the clips that hold them on did scratch the wheels a bit. I was just wondering if the wheel skins or the wheels on these Rams are known to have the clips scratch the wheels or not. Thanks

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had them on my Ram for ~2 yrs. They didn't scratch my OE wheels, but they left black scuff marks -- which were really difficult to buff out when I sold the set.