Air intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dfaver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, I have a 2012 6.7 that has been totally deleted, with no other mods, no program as far as I know, etc..
I am wondering what and who would be the best program for the engine, we will be doing alot of towing in the winter to go south. As well, does a cold air intake make a difference? I do not want to go too overboard and lose any reliability.
Any help would be appreciated!

Thanx

Last edited:

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I have a 2012 6.7 that has been totally deleted, with no other mods, no programmer etc..
I am wondering what and who would be the best program for the engine, we will be doing alot of towing in the winter to go south. As well, does a cold air intake make a difference? I do not want to go too overboard and lose any reliability.
Any help would be appreciated!

Thanx
Just out of curiosity how did you delete it without any kind of programming? Don’t you have a check engine light?

OP
OP
D

Dfaver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No lights at all! The computer seems to have just compensated. Or the garage I had do it put a program in and did not tell me, but I would assume they would have!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
There's no way the truck has been full deleted without some form a tune.
A cold air intake or high flow air flow filters don't anything other than drain your wallet but they will help add to the noise level.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
No lights at all! The computer seems to have just compensated. Or the garage I had do it put a program in and did not tell me, but I would assume they would have!
It's not even remotely possible for the computer to "just compensate".

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I recall reading that the stock air box is good for up to 500 HP going over that is when you would need to make a change, if you do a CAI do not use one that is oiled like K&N they let small dirt particles into your engine and oiled filters will mess with air flow sensors...

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I recall reading that the stock air box is good for up to 500 HP going over that is when you would need to make a change, if you do a CAI do not use one that is oiled like K&N they let small dirt particles into your engine and oiled filters will mess with air flow sensors...
This has never happened to me & I have been using an oiled K&N filter in different vehicles for years. I have over 100k on one of them & I don't burn oil & never had a sensor get clogged. I do agree that they do not add much performance, but I enjoy the fact that I can clean them once a year & be good to go, without having to buy new filters over & over again.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
This has never happened to me & I have been using an oiled K&N filter in different vehicles for years. I have over 100k on one of them & I don't burn oil & never had a sensor get clogged. I do agree that they do not add much performance, but I enjoy the fact that I can clean them once a year & be good to go, without having to buy new filters over & over again.
I had a '98 Dodge 2500 with 450,000 miles on the original 360 gas engine. I had a K&N filter in it from the first time I changed the air filter and after I seen the dumb design of having to remove the air filter housing from the engine to change it. I didn't install the K&N for any performance reason. I only changed it so I did have to change filters as often. I cleaned and oiled it about every 30,000 miles, probably more than I needed to. Never had an issue with dirt getting in the engine. I realize this is in the diesel section but didn't think it would be any difference than a gas engine air cleaner wise.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
The OP was asking about a CAI on a 6.7l diesel engine not gas, being and owner of a few diesel engines have read up on and talked to diesel mechanics about the problems caused because of oiled air filters not filtering as good as paper air filters and letting small particles by that damage things like turbos and as its well known that the oil from these filters can an many times do mess with air flow sensors....

Dennis Shellito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins IBS
I ran the S&B CAI with the oiled filters for several years because other people swore it needed it. I have recently returned it to the stock air box and filter and won't put another filter system in it. There are no gains by the CAI, period.

Dfavor, your truck is running a tune that shuts off the emissions or you would have a giant lightening bolt across the EVIC. My 2011 is running a single tow tune that was installed via EZlynk, and there is no hands on "programmer" to mess with.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca