Air Shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Calicajun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
Has anyone added Air Shocks to a 2023 Ram Limited that has the air bags for trailer height hooking adjustment? My truck has shocks, leaf springs and the air bags to lower the truck for easier trailer hook up. Air bags on this truck have nothing to do with the ride quality. Found out yesterday that there are two different factory air bag systems. One is to help with the ride quality and has no shocks, while mine is just for lower the truck to hook up a trailer and has shocks.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your a little off course but close. With your setup that has the leaf springs (3500’s only), the bags are used to aid in towing as the leaf springs are very minimal as far as payload/support goes, most likely to try and get a better ride when empty. The 2500’s air suspension setup is no leafs or coils at all, just air bags. Both of these setups have normal shocks.

It would make no sense to add air shocks to your setup (or the 2500 setup for that matter)…your air bag setup is already doing the same thing for you.

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
The "alternate trailer height" function is just that. It is there to lower the front of a trailer to aid in leveling and it works to disengage the ball sooner without having to crank a trailer up so much while loading or unloading. I also use it to navigate a steep ramp coming into or out of a gas station as one of my trailers is low to the ground in the back. Regardless of position, the air bags are an integral part of the suspension.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
There have been a couple versions of the 3500 dually setup. The initial had a minimal leaf setup and would apparently achieve the lower ride height even with an empty bed. The later has a much beefier leaf pack, but still less than the non-air ride 3500. My '19 would not lower unless there was sufficient weight in the bed or on the hitch. They do have shocks, and they do ride better than the spring only trucks.

zrock

Reaction score
air shocks are just adding a point of failure.. Air shocks were always just a gamic for the guys that wanted to lift their old muscle cars a bit and they would crank up the air pressure..

OP
OP
Calicajun

Calicajun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
Thanks for the reply's, my truck does already have standard shocks installed from the factory. I not sure how beefy the leaf springs are but do know that the truck didn't squat any (that I could tell) when the air bags lost all their air. At least I assume there was no air in the bags with the air hose popped out and the service air system light was on.
That was with the truck pulling our fifth wheel with a 2,400 pin weight.

Did put air shocks once on a 1993 Chev Suburban for towing a 28' TT and they worked great back then but times and engineering have changed over the years. So that is why I was asking the original question as I'm a little behind he times.

P.S No old man jokes, I get enough of that from my kids. :)

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the reply's, my truck does already have standard shocks installed from the factory. I not sure how beefy the leaf springs are but do know that the truck didn't squat any (that I could tell) when the air bags lost all their air. At least I assume there was no air in the bags with the air hose popped out and the service air system light was on.
That was with the truck pulling our fifth wheel with a 2,400 pin weight.

Did put air shocks once on a 1993 Chev Suburban for towing a 28' TT and they worked great back then but times and engineering have changed over the years. So that is why I was asking the original question as I'm a little behind he times.

P.S No old man jokes, I get enough of that from my kids. :)
Yea, air shocks have their place, just not on your truck…thats what the air bags are there for.