Alarm always on-Even while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sunnyhills

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My brother has a 2003 Ram 1500 with a problem I would like to ask your help with. The horn honks and headlights flash, I guess the alarm is going off. It happens all the time. It happens while you are driving down the road.

They had a problem with the instrument panel, so an independent shop replaced the instrument panel. One possibility I think, is that there is a security problem with the instrument panel, that the computer doesn’t recognize it, but we're not sure.

Another thing, They don’t have the Fob, The honking started when someone used the key to open the door, it started honking, and didn’t stop when they put the key in and started it. If the alarm goes off, it’s supposed to stop when you start the pickup, right?

He’s had it at an independent shop and they can’t figure it out, telling him to take it to a dealer, but I thought I’d ask here first.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what the problem might be?
Or any troubleshooting tips?

Thank you,
Larry

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My brother has a 2003 Ram 1500 with a problem I would like to ask your help with. The horn honks and headlights flash, I guess the alarm is going off. It happens all the time. It happens while you are driving down the road.

They had a problem with the instrument panel, so an independent shop replaced the instrument panel. One possibility I think, is that there is a security problem with the instrument panel, that the computer doesn’t recognize it, but we're not sure.

Another thing, They don’t have the Fob, The honking started when someone used the key to open the door, it started honking, and didn’t stop when they put the key in and started it. If the alarm goes off, it’s supposed to stop when you start the pickup, right?

He’s had it at an independent shop and they can’t figure it out, telling him to take it to a dealer, but I thought I’d ask here first.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what the problem might be?
Or any troubleshooting tips?

Thank you,
Larry
The older DR body trucks can be a little tricky sometimes. What color is the ignition key? Black or Grey? Also, I would get another key FOB. Without a key fob here is what I would do if I didn't have a scan tool.

I would close all of the doors and use the ignition key to lock, unlock, lock and unlock the driver door and then the passenger door.

Then, get in the truck and close all of the doors. Turn the ignition key to the run position and then try to start the car. Turn the ignition key to the off position and wait for two minutes. Next, turn the ignition key back to the run position and leave it in the run position. Let it sit for 10 minutes with the ignition key in the run position and then turn the key off. Then, try and start it and see what happens.

OP
OP
S

Sunnyhills

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mopar, Thank you for the detailed instructions. Is this a type of Reset procedure that you're recommending? That these steps would Set or Reset the security system?
I can try this on Saturday.
I'll ask about the key color.
To set up a new FOB, we would have to pay the dealer to program it, right? Since he doesn't have one. Which would be worth it, if it would fix it. Can I ask for more info on this?
Does the FOB somehow turn off the alarm, in a way that starting the pickup, does not do?
Thank you!

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Mopar, Thank you for the detailed instructions. Is this a type of Reset procedure that you're recommending? That these steps would Set or Reset the security system?
I can try this on Saturday.
I'll ask about the key color.
To set up a new FOB, we would have to pay the dealer to program it, right? Since he doesn't have one. Which would be worth it, if it would fix it. Can I ask for more info on this?
Does the FOB somehow turn off the alarm, in a way that starting the pickup, does not do?
Thank you!
The alarm reset procedure can and will.be different from vehicle to vehicle. I normally use these steps on the late 90's and early 2000 model Chrysler cars but it has worked for me in multiple Ram trucks.

For the actual alarm, the truck may actually not have an alarm installed but it very well could too. If this truck has a black key then the vehicle does not have SKIM or a Sentry Key Immobilizer. If the truck has a grey key then it does have SKIM. If the SKIM was a problem the engine would more than likely not start at all.

Take a look around the left side of the instrument panel and see if you can see an alarm installed. Check under the hood for wired and an alarm siren and possibly a hood ajar switch.

I'm guessing that the truck has a black key and no alarm installed and the issue is coming from the instrument cluster because that is where the factory RKE (key fob) signals come from.

If you do not have a working key FOB you will have to have one programmed by a dealer or a locksmith. If you had a working key FOB you could program it yourself.

ric221

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If it's a aftermarket alarm you could have a loose connection or a module going bad