Engine died while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Roman_78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hello. Not really sure where this should go. So tonight I was driving and then without any warning all my lights inside came on and the truck died. Lucky was able to get it to a safe stop. I have a 2011 ram 1500 5.7 hemi. It turned over right away then when I parked the truck acted like the battery was completely dead. Windows wouldn’t roll up, lights off. Wouldn’t let the key fob out. About 20/30 seconds later the power came back on. A few notes. Checked the battery voltage it was 13. The alternator test on the machine showed it as a good. The lights did not dem. The connections to the battery were tight and rust free. Last note a while back the abs came on driving down the high way. And the radio shut off.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
I'd check the connections with the TIPM. Might have something corroded or that has vibrated loose. Given it's an 11, it could this issue

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Ignition, you van bypass it to test if that is the issue. When ignitions go bad the truck "thinks" the truck was shut off thus no code and dead everything. Make sure if you do this use cig lighter relay. If the battery is over 5 years old time for a new one anyhow?

OP
OP
R

Roman_78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ignition, you van bypass it to test if that is the issue. When ignitions go bad the truck "thinks" the truck was shut off thus no code and dead everything. Make sure if you do this use cig lighter relay. If the battery is over 5 years old time for a new one anyhow?

Now that I think about it about it 2 times in the last month the truck made a clicking noise then turned over when I tried to start it.

cammed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ram rt
Engine
cammed 5.7

Thank you for this info
Sorry all this happened
And thank you all for posting this helpful info

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Now that I think about it about it 2 times in the last month the truck made a clicking noise then turned over when I tried to start it.
Could you tell where the click was, down low or at ignition?
So this could be going on and explain the click. If you could feel the click in the win, put your finger on win everytime you start it, then you just need a new win. Carry a bypass cable around, might save you a tow. Bow, you do need to program fobs to new win and I do believe flash it to cpu, research that there are website where you can do all of this from home, I'm not sure about the flash.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat