Aligned the truck 4 times still pulling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hksvr4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Got 4 new tries and alignment at Mavis. Tires came out fine but after 4 alignments, it’s still pulling. I have the 1st gen 1500 big horn with 39k miles, 18” wheels. Changed out the factory tires. I thought why not get the alignment at the same time. Bought it today to get the 4th alignment and it got worse.

The computer said the wheels annd steering were straight. Alignment was done by two different mechanics on the same alignment rack. On different occasions.

So the service guy told me it had something to do with the rack and pinion. The truck drove straight prior to Mavis though. He said call the dealer to see if the rack is out. He also said it could be the camber, which they didn’t touch.

Every time they aligned it, it pull the other way. It’s pulling left, then after they aligned it, it pulled right. When I put the steering wheel straight the truck would pull the other way.

DA67Goatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do 5th Gen have pull correction in the software for the rack? Might be a simple reset fixes the pull if so.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Do 5th Gen have pull correction in the software for the rack? Might be a simple reset fixes the pull if so.
Pull correction software..WUT?
If a vehicle doesn't go straight down the road with the steering wheel being straight it's an alignment issue, no amount of software can correct a mechanical problem.

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I had the same problem with new alignment on a work truck. Went back to the dealer and 89 dollars later she ran strait and true.
Turned out the tire shops rack was out of calibration... they had several complaints but wouldn't fess up and reimburse. I don't go there any more...

shrubs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have had a similar issue years ago. My first fix was to go to a different shop with different equipment. That took care of operator error or equipment problems.

Next up I moved the tires to different spots. This included a check of proper mount and balance.

The end result was that I had a poor tire that was not manufactured or quality controlled. Too much material in a certain tire area that balancing could never work out.

Replaced that tire and all was well for the life of the tires.

Some reasoning with the shops and $ and I got out of the problem for a reasonable cost.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got 4 new tries and alignment at Mavis. Tires came out fine but after 4 alignments, it’s still pulling. I have the 1st gen 1500 big horn with 39k miles, 18” wheels. Changed out the factory tires. I thought why not get the alignment at the same time. Bought it today to get the 4th alignment and it got worse.

The computer said the wheels annd steering were straight. Alignment was done by two different mechanics on the same alignment rack. On different occasions.

So the service guy told me it had something to do with the rack and pinion. The truck drove straight prior to Mavis though. He said call the dealer to see if the rack is out. He also said it could be the camber, which they didn’t touch.

Every time they aligned it, it pull the other way. It’s pulling left, then after they aligned it, it pulled right. When I put the steering wheel straight the truck would pull the other way.
The repair facility screwed it up. You are generous in that you refer to the person who worked on it as "mechanic". I refer to that type as someone who is dangerous with tools.

Unfortunately, there is the supposition that the "computer" is, somehow, infallible. I'm from the old school of alignment and know that there are many dynamics as to why the pull. DO NOT assume that the new tires are above suspicion.

Moreover, the geometry of aligning that genre of trucks hasn't changed in over 70 years, since the king pins were replaced by ball joints.

Go somewhere else to seek service.

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
Why was the alignment done in the first place? These trucks do have a steering angle relearn / pull compensation that can be reset. It’s EPS the fancy stuff can make your truck do things out of your control. I had a ‘check’ done and ended up bad. On a brand new 30,000 rack the adapters didn’t like my tread on the ko2 tires, it was giving false readings. Moved the truck to the old rack with a different style adapter that could mount to the tire better as bam perfect alignment. Tire does play a roll, if it’s a heavier meaty tire it can grab into the grooves in the road more hence a pull but if it’s a constant pull something is wrong. With LTE ko2’s the truck drives straight as can be. Road crown will make the wheel a bit to the left or right depending on the slop but should be straight on flat land.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why was the alignment done in the first place? These trucks do have a steering angle relearn / pull compensation that can be reset. It’s EPS the fancy stuff can make your truck do things out of your control. I had a ‘check’ done and ended up bad. On a brand new 30,000 rack the adapters didn’t like my tread on the ko2 tires, it was giving false readings. Moved the truck to the old rack with a different style adapter that could mount to the tire better as bam perfect alignment. Tire does play a roll, if it’s a heavier meaty tire it can grab into the grooves in the road more hence a pull but if it’s a constant pull something is wrong. With LTE ko2’s the truck drives straight as can be. Road crown will make the wheel a bit to the left or right depending on the slop but should be straight on flat land.
Yup! The fly poop in the pepper! The electric steering and all the automated crap that pays attention for us! This is a big factor in the age of my vehicles! As of this year, DOIP (Diagnosis over internet protocol) is a reality. This allows big brother to monitor your every move. Can you say "4th Amendment"? I knew you could!

Also, in big part, the powers that be, like insurance companies, want to protect folks from themselves because folks just CAN'T get their noses out of their cell phones! :)

Come 2026, the "Infrastructure Bill" has a provision for passive breathalyzer built into cars for DWI prevention, whereby the system shuts the car off and REPORTS to the authorities! Problem is, what if someone has on strong cologne? What if you are a designated driver? How about a diabetic throwing ketones? The bill has yet to pass senate and house votes! There is major pushback on it.... Gee! I wonder why!

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Pull correction software..WUT?
If a vehicle doesn't go straight down the road with the steering wheel being straight it's an alignment issue, no amount of software can correct a mechanical problem.
Actually, this is a thing and has been for some time in certain vehicles. Don’t know about Ram 1500 EPS, but my Freightliner compensates for side winds, road crowns, basically any condition that causes a constant steering pull. ZF makes it IIRC.

I’m actually conflicted on whether I like it or not, because it can mask problems, and it reduces feedback to the driver.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Actually, this is a thing and has been for some time in certain vehicles. Don’t know about Ram 1500 EPS, but my Freightliner compensates for side winds, road crowns, basically any condition that causes a constant steering pull. ZF makes it IIRC.

I’m actually conflicted on whether I like it or not, because it can mask problems, and it reduces feedback to the driver.
That's dynamic steering assistance, ZF version is the ReAX. That doesn't compensate for a misaligned front end, if anything those systems throw error codes if steering problems are detected. If error conditions are detected the system shuts down.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
That's dynamic steering assistance, ZF version is the ReAX. That doesn't compensate for a misaligned front end, if anything those systems throw error codes if steering problems are detected. If error conditions are detected the system shuts down.
Sorry, but having driven this for five years I’ll have to respectfully disagree. Although it’s not going correct a mechanical problem, it’s certainly capable of masking one.

But let’s not take the OP’s thread down a rabbit hole. The question I’d be interested in hearing about is does the Ram EPS have any features that can cause his symptoms? I hope he shares the solution when he gets one.

BuschLatte420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you have a print out of the alignment sheet

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you have a print out of the alignment sheet
Agree. Without that it's hard to tell what is going on. Most alignment shops won't change anything as long as the arrows are in the green.

Green doesn't always mean good. You can be in the green positive on one side and green negative on the other, and have a bad pull.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Tires play a big part. When my Duratracs were first mounted at 3,000 miles, truck tracked perfectly straight. At 12,000 miles I was getting a bit of a pull to the right. Was thinking about getting an alignment. Decided to first rotate the tires front to back, truck tracks perfectly straight again. Tire wear will affect tracking, especially with the heavy tires with large lugs. I love Duratracs for their off pavement abilities and the fact I can run them year round. Since this pickup spends more than 80% of its time not on pavement, they are a great choice. However, they are far from the quietest or most civilised tire on paved roads. Better than BFG Mud Terrains on pavement, but not by much.

I agree with those that say, go to a different shop, the one you are using is clearly Fukaed. Other suggestion, use the Thuren alignment specs, many have reported very good results with them.

BuschLatte420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Agree. Without that it's hard to tell what is going on. Most alignment shops won't change anything as long as the arrows are in the green.

Green doesn't always mean good. You can be in the green positive on one side and green negative on the other, and have a bad pull.
I wanna say my trucks toe is equal on both sides, caster has a .3+ On the right side over the left, and camber is equal both sides. Love the way it rides and handles. Had a tire cupping issue and now they wear great