Locking diff only in 4 low?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

franklingray

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all. A newbie here. I've had my new to me Ram 1500 2018 for 2.5 years now with 2 of those years in the mountains of Colorado. Both my wife and I had noticed it works better in snow than her Grand Cherokee. Last month we found out that when in 4 low, all 4 wheels spin when I am stuck. Today I found out that not all 4 wheels spin in 4 hi.

The truck came factory with limited slip in the rear but the previous owner was into mudding, so is it possible he put in electronic locking diffs in both front and back that kick in automatically when in 4 low? It's either that or in just a few weeks my limited slip diff isn't working anymore in the rear.

This issue came to light today when I was out plowing for the first time with my new truck plow (DK2 Storm II). I had to plow a guy's very long driveway (500 yards) and then back out because no place to turn around. The snow was about 25 inches deep, so when I was backing out I ran into the berm 3 times. The last time the wife came down to help and said the rear diverside wasn't spinning. I couldn't get it out the 3rd time until I walked home, had lunch, then went back and tried 4 low. She popped right out in 4 low.

Everything I read says don't use 4 low in snow, but I kept it in 4 low the rest of my plowing and it seemed to respond so much better. Thoughts?

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I always plow in 4 high, and it locks all four wheels in at once

I'm not a fan of it, I would prefer being able to run 4wd open, and lock it in when I need it

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Traction control is the enemy when stuck. Did you turn it off? It was probably braking that wheel.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
rear factory LSD should kick in by itself.

OP
OP
F

franklingray

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I always plow in 4 high, and it locks all four wheels in at once

I'm not a fan of it, I would prefer being able to run 4wd open, and lock it in when I need it

Even when plowing 20+ inches? I am new to plowing. What is the max a 22" high blade can plow?

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Even when plowing 20+ inches? I am new to plowing. What is the max a 22" high blade can plow?
One of the adeges of snow plowing is that you plow with the storm, so if possible, you don't let it get over a foot high before you plow it

We haven't had a "real" winter here in Michigan, and I don't believe I've plowed more then 6 inches at a time with the dodge, but even then, 4 high does the trick

About the only time I use 4 low when plowing is when I stop short of where I want my pile to be, loose momentum and then have to try and get it going again

As far as how much you can plow, depends a lot on the type of snow 2 inches of wet snow can be just as hard to remove as 4 or 5 inches of fluffy snow

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357