All Alpine System Owners!

Discussion in 'Audio & Electronics' started by Podcast, Feb 13, 2018.

1. TXFireMedic

TXFireMedic Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    http://www.ramforum.com/threads/alpine-audio-speaker-upgrade.118195/

Read through this

GSchwizzy likes this.
  2. GSchwizzy

GSchwizzy Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    One other side note... the biggest 'issue' I have with the system, and it being labeled as a "Premium" system, is the sub-par 3-band equalizer in the Audio options. Worthless.

Ok, rant over. I feel better. :)

Podcast likes this.
  3. TomT

TomT Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    You can swap out the speakers for better ones (the factory ones are complete garbage) and that will definitely get you better sound. If having crappy EQ capability is an issue then your only solution for that would be either a new head unit or going with a complete system upgrade that includes a DSP.

4. adrianp89

adrianp89 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I believe the DSR1 will allow you to use the 32band eq on each channel with the factory Alpine.

5. Mbrigh3

Mbrigh3 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I am in the middle of upgrading parts of my Alpine set up. I swapped out the Alpine sub for the shallow mount pioneer sub but that pioneer is so under powered by the alpine system that I had to buy an independent amp for it that I hopefully get install tom.

I also wanted to be able to control the sub instead of overall bass. I think the speakers sound Alpine speakers sound fine on my Ram but I am a guy who prefers bass over treble. Shoot... when I go see an I-max movie I have to wear ear plugs because the highs from those speakers hurt my ears lol.

Note: Dont buy the 8" pioneer sub unless you plan on giving it an independent amp not worth the money.

Anyways this is my project that I hopefully get installed tom. I already have the pioneer installed but ill list it below.

-Pioneer TS-SW2002d2 8"

-Amp for the sub: Pioneer GM-A3702 500w Max 190RMS

-Sub controller: Scosche LOC90 Speaker to RCA Line Output Converter

6. GSchwizzy

GSchwizzy Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Thanks for the info guys (especially TXFire)... this helps a lot. Sorry I didn't see that other thread, I just picked this one since I thought my question applied.

The only other question I have is... isn't anyone that installs 2 ohm speakers worried about damaging the factory head unit? I don't "think" it's rated for 2 ohm speakers. Not 100% on that, but just a guess. I'd be worried about overheating and/or the over-current protection tripping, etc.

So... what is the reason for going to 2 ohms? More power??? Not judging, just asking. I always thought 4 was the 'norm', but I'm old (well, older) and have been out of the car audio game for quite awhile... LOL!

Now it's a matter of deciding what to buy. Ugh.

Ok, this is my last question... a friend of mine at work recommended Memphis Audio 6x9s for the doors. Anyone heard of those or installed any? He was a big JL guy, but this is all he'll install in his cars... including his 68' Impala he's almost done restoring.

Thanks and take care!

7. TomT

TomT Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Yes, 4 ohms is the norm for car speakers but the factory speakers in the Alpine system are 2 ohm. They probably did this to get more volume out of small wattage.

As for Memphis 6x9s in the doors, I would put them lower than JL. I also doubt they have a 2 ohm version.

adrianp89 likes this.
  8. GSchwizzy

GSchwizzy Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Thank you for the information Tom... much appreciated.

I might just try upgrading the door speakers, and adding in some sound deadening material first... but my anal retentiveness will likely kick in and will want to upgrade the rest of the speakers (i.e. dash and head liner).

Can someone tell me what sizes the dash and headliner speakers are, and if the cover in each area just 'pop' off? I'd hate to try prying and crack/break them...

Thanks much. Take care!

9. adrianp89

adrianp89 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Come on Tom! You know better than to just compare "brand names". Way too many variables here.

autokraftgt likes this.
  10. TXFireMedic

TXFireMedic Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7

for the install of the dash speakers.

GSchwizzy likes this.