Ambitious 03-06 auto-manual swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OhYou_

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I got a parts truck 03 1500.
By the time I got it, it had no body panels or rear axle.

I replaced a head on the 4.7 and threw an axle in and it drives about.

The problem now is, I can't find any dark gray panels for this thing for a reasonable price...

So my idea is I'm going to go pick up another 1500, 06 tomorrow and swap everything painted over including the cab.

I can probably make all that work, but it's manual, so I would have to swap over the manual transmission and ecu as well.

So basically, will anything get in my way here? Or will it all bolt right up?

Full specs:
2003 1500 SLT
4door SWB
4.7 auto 4x4

Donor:
2006 1500 SLT
4door SWB
4.7 manual 2WD

OP
OP
O

OhYou_

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So you're putting everything on the 03 chassis from the 06?

Yes, I will keep frame and engine from the 03 because 4x4

I'm mostly worried about if the manual transmission will bolt onto my transfer case

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Yes, I will keep frame and engine from the 03 because 4x4

I'm mostly worried about if the manual transmission will bolt onto my transfer case

So the 03 has no trans? I would just keep the same trans, but they're different. The 2WD is longer with no bolt up points while the 4WD is shorter with bolt up's for the TC.

OP
OP
O

OhYou_

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So the 03 has no trans? I would just keep the same trans, but they're different. The 2WD is longer with no bolt up points while the 4WD is shorter with bolt up's for the TC.

I would keep the 03 Trans, but I figure it would be easier to convert the drivetrain to manual then convert the cab to auto

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
I would keep the 03 Trans, but I figure it would be easier to convert the drivetrain to manual then convert the cab to auto

If you can get part #'s from TC and trans that would be helpful.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

OhYou_

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you can get part #'s from TC and trans that would be helpful.

I won't be out to it until tomorrow, I'll check then but I'll be putting it together then, will there be differences in the cab looms?

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
I won't be out to it until tomorrow, I'll check then but I'll be putting it together then, will there be differences in the cab looms?

The later 3rd gens were fitted with more options, but at most if the computer harness matches you should be good to go.

OP
OP
O

OhYou_

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The later 3rd gens were fitted with more options, but at most if the computer harness matches you should be good to go.

Cool, thanks mate.

Also, I'm assuming I would have to use the Manual's ecu as well?

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Cool, thanks mate.

Also, I'm assuming I would have to use the Manual's ecu as well?
I'm unsure, but the manual has next to no electronics on the trans so if you continue with the auto ECM it might throw trans codes up that are non existent.

ramrunner98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 magnum
I have worked on those trucks before and there isn't too much too worry about I think the biggest thing will be the wiring. but if you map it out before you do the swap you should next to no problems.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
There are only 3 issues to deal with on the Manual cab you are getting : 1.the hole in the floor and (2.) the hole in the carpet for the shifter, and 3. the brake pedal (clutch/brake pedal assembly).

1. The hole in the floor is an easy fix (Welded sheet metal, or even easier with a few rivets and caulking as this is absolutely not structural).
2. A new carpet runs for under 200$ (if aesthetics are of importance).
3. (Probably the trickiest part if it is) A good salvage yard would be a great source for a brake pedal assembly and should not run you more than 100$, probably much less from a Pull-A-Part remove it yourself type of place. From what I have seen on these truck it should be a direct bolt-on, and a little wiring if the brake light connector is not the same.

From my perspective, it a lot easier and less risky to maintain the Auto tranny VS modding over to manual which will involve more work and fitting, and potentially a costly driveshaft replacement or modding since the 2WD doesn't have the same Driveshaft length as the 4WD to accommodate for the T-Case. Also the ECU might have to be reflashed or swapped to a new one as the '03 has the integrated ECU/PCM/TCM all in one box.

Now all of that being said it all depends on what you will be doing with the truck (ride on a private lot or have it street legal with emissions compliance, etc.), the comfort level you have with welding, fabrication, etc. And the "want" to do something cool/different as a hobby project.

If it is just a matter of having a low cost driveable truck, maintaining the automatic tranny is definitely the shortest and cost effective route.

OP
OP
O

OhYou_

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There are only 3 issues to deal with on the Manual cab you are getting : 1.the hole in the floor and (2.) the hole in the carpet for the shifter, and 3. the brake pedal (clutch/brake pedal assembly).

1. The hole in the floor is an easy fix (Welded sheet metal, or even easier with a few rivets and caulking as this is absolutely not structural).
2. A new carpet runs for under 200$ (if aesthetics are of importance).
3. (Probably the trickiest part if it is) A good salvage yard would be a great source for a brake pedal assembly and should not run you more than 100$, probably much less from a Pull-A-Part remove it yourself type of place. From what I have seen on these truck it should be a direct bolt-on, and a little wiring if the brake light connector is not the same.

From my perspective, it a lot easier and less risky to maintain the Auto tranny VS modding over to manual which will involve more work and fitting, and potentially a costly driveshaft replacement or modding since the 2WD doesn't have the same Driveshaft length as the 4WD to accommodate for the T-Case. Also the ECU might have to be reflashed or swapped to a new one as the '03 has the integrated ECU/PCM/TCM all in one box.

Now all of that being said it all depends on what you will be doing with the truck (ride on a private lot or have it street legal with emissions compliance, etc.), the comfort level you have with welding, fabrication, etc. And the "want" to do something cool/different as a hobby project.

If it is just a matter of having a low cost driveable truck, maintaining the automatic tranny is definitely the shortest and cost effective route.

I have two mostly complete trucks, parts wouldn't be an issue either way. I'm mostly looking for getting the most out of it, build the best from the two sort of deal. Still on the fence about it, but a manual just sounds like more fun.

Bad luck though. Picked up the truck today, its a ST...
I'm assuming the bulk wiring loom would be the same though and has plugs for a door loom? or am I completely screwed on using the 06 harness/dash?

While I'm at it, I'm planning on installing new carpet as well. Anyone done this on one of their trucks? I'm assuming it is pretty straight forward though, just a bag of plastic rivets? Or would I need more?

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
Bad luck though. Picked up the truck today, its a ST...
I'm assuming the bulk wiring loom would be the same though and has plugs for a door loom? or am I completely screwed on using the 06 harness/dash?
The '06 is CANBUS and the earlier trucks are PCI Bus. I'd guess you'd need the '06 ECM for the gauge cluster, anyway.

I'd think the harnesses are fairly close other than possibly different option pre-wiring/color codes/connector types. With the Ram Body Builder PDF for each year, you could research the wiring. It'll have splice and connector locations.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

2wd and 4wd 545's are the same, the 2wd has a tailshaft, while the 4wd has a transfer case adapter. These are swappable (I've done it with replacement transmissions).

OP
OP
O

OhYou_

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, so unfortunately, my sort of local junkyard JUST put out a ram of the correct color and year Monday, earlier this week...

Also this 06 pretty much just needs a cylinder head, timing kit, and a clutch, so I probably will just fix it.

Now the problem is I have an extra truck and have no idea what to do with until funding.

OP
OP
O

OhYou_

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Where are you located?

California/831

I only got the fenders off the junkers, but meh.
Hopefuly the hood, grille, bumpers, and bed will fit from the 06.

Also I discovered the new head I installed has a damaged intake valve.

Just doesnt end.