Anderson Weight distribution hitch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2023 RAM 1500 with the Hemi with etorque.

I have a 20' enclosed trailer that weighs 3500 lbs and will tow a car that weighs about 3400 lbs. With loose items in the trailer lets call it 7500 lbs

I'm considering purchasing this Anderson weight distribution hitch.

https://andersenhitches.com/product/weight-distribution-hitch/

Is anyone out there using an Anderson set up with similar combo. I'd love to hear what you have to say...

Thank you...

Rick

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
There's lots of people out there with one, and they enjoy it. Personally I think it's overpriced for what it is, and I stick with the simple systems that have treated me well for over 20 years, and my parents for 30 years before that.

That said, if you load that enclosed trailer right, you may not need one. It's not like an RV that you can't rearrange the weight, you can load the car a bit further back on the trailer (or back it in) to get some weight off the tongue and on the trailer axles. That should take care of most of the weight issues as well as controlling sway. If you still have issues with sway, a simple add-on sway control bar would probably be enough.

I definitely suggest (depending on how far you're hauling this setup) loading everything up prior to spending the money on an Anderson system (that will function differently when loaded with the car vs not) and head to a nearby CAT scale (most truck stops have one and they're fairly cheap to run across), then play with the loading to see if you can get your tongue weight down while still staying close to that 10-12% range. If this is going to be a one or two time thing, I certainly wouldn't spend that kind of money.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Been towing with one for a couple years now and love it. The light weight and ease of use is second to none, having used an Equalizer, Blue Ox and ProPride previously. It's quiet, has good sway control and don't need to unhook anything to back up.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
It's quiet, has good sway control and don't need to unhook anything to back up.

This is the part I don't understand. I have NEVER had to unhook anything to back into a spot using a standard WDH with the chain-connected bars. Why is it that there is a misconception that you have to? I have been close to needing to take off my stand-alone sway bar, but even if I did I could still touch the trailer frame to my bumper before I had to unhook anything else.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is the part I don't understand. I have NEVER had to unhook anything to back into a spot using a standard WDH with the chain-connected bars. Why is it that there is a misconception that you have to? I have been close to needing to take off my stand-alone sway bar, but even if I did I could still touch the trailer frame to my bumper before I had to unhook anything else.
Not so much unhook the tension bars, but those friction sway bars. I bent the $h!t out of one backing in to a tight spot.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Been towing with one for a couple years now and love it. The light weight and ease of use is second to none, having used an Equalizer, Blue Ox and ProPride previously. It's quiet, has good sway control and don't need to unhook anything to back up.
Agreed - simple, light-weight, and easier to hook up than the ones with spring bars.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a 2023 RAM 1500 with the Hemi with etorque.

I have a 20' enclosed trailer that weighs 3500 lbs and will tow a car that weighs about 3400 lbs. With loose items in the trailer lets call it 7500 lbs

I'm considering purchasing this Anderson weight distribution hitch.

https://andersenhitches.com/product/weight-distribution-hitch/

Is anyone out there using an Anderson set up with similar combo. I'd love to hear what you have to say...

Thank you...

Rick

I tow a trailer slightly lighter than that with an Anderson and I'm very satisified with its performance. Previously I used a husky centerline (old skool setup with trunion bars) but could never dial it in as good as I can the Anderson.

If you tow once a year or less you can find cheaper options that aren't quite as nice but will do the job. If you tow more regularly, you might appreciate how light weight it is, no bars to lose or store, the speed of setup and tear down, and how easy it is to adjust for more or less weight (just dial the nut in more or less). Not the cheapest, but very nice to use. Probably loses effectiveness when trailers start to get too big but at that weight it should work perfect.

zrock

Reaction score
i have used both the strait bar with chains and now just the strait bar no chains. I looked into the Anderson system and the first thing that popped up in some searches is the wear on the pin. I also did not like the fact that you had a adjustment nut on each chain so its easy to get the tensions out side to side. SO i went with my current strait bar system and i can be hooked up in under a min easily and do not need to remove anything to back into sites, i can easily jack knife it into a site with no issues..

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i have used both the strait bar with chains and now just the strait bar no chains. I looked into the Anderson system and the first thing that popped up in some searches is the wear on the pin. I also did not like the fact that you had a adjustment nut on each chain so its easy to get the tensions out side to side. SO i went with my current strait bar system and i can be hooked up in under a min easily and do not need to remove anything to back into sites, i can easily jack knife it into a site with no issues..

Easy to be out of adjustment side to side if you have problems counting to 4

Scherm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I was towing a 29’ TT, about 8000lbs, with a Chevy 1500, standard wd hitch. it was not fun. Put the Anderson hitch on and it was a night and day difference! Since, I’ve upgraded to a RAM 2500 and still use the Anderson. Not that I tow at 75mph regularly, but sometimes to pass, it still felt like 60mph. Love it!

Units

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Bighorn
Engine
6.7l Cummins
Easy to be out of adjustment side to side if you have problems counting to 4
I marked the included socket, as suggested per the instructions. No way to misinterpret how many times you see the line on the socket go by while adjusting the tension. Although I do fall into the “I don’t need no stinking instructions” category most of the time.

ptc60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I use a Fastway E2 hitch /straight bar at 10000lb on a 7500lb RV trailer - its so easy and works great in HEAVY winds, winding roads, or semi filled highways. Easy to install and adjust. 2015 RAM1500 Hemi Tow Package.

00buck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use one on my travel trailer and am a fan.

I had carpel tunnel surgery the other day and got to coach my wife on hooking up and disconnecting- easy peasy.

There a few different ways to approach hook up and disconnect, once you get it in possession and watch some youtubes you can decide which way works best for you.
I also used a punch to mark my socket- dots on one side and X's on the other 180 out. 3.5 turns each is my sweat spot.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Only issue i had with my Anderson hitch was the brackets moving on the trailer frame. I ended up having to drill a pilot hole for the set screw as the directions suggested. Otherwise the hitch has been great on my 29' toy hauler.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thoffmann517