Android headunits?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dbenson32

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Ram 1500 TRX
Engine
Since buying my 09, I've been nothing but disappointed with the stereo and headunit that came with the truck. Bluetooth never works properly, Sirius never worked even though I had the antenna....etc.

I recently came across the Avin Avant 2 and it peaked my interest. The flexibility of android and a feature rich system seems attractive. I'm interested in using waze and other nav apps mainly.

https://avinusa.com/avin-universal-avant2-full-android-gps-navigation-system.html

The only real downside I can see to this is having to tether 4G internet from my cell (which I don't even mind) and the lack of XM cabability, which I was wasnt ever able to use anyways. Can anyone recommend something similair or offer any insight? Thanks!!

jssmith76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I got a standard radio in my '09,but the uconnect stuff was never installed, so no Bluetooth or anything like that. I've been looking around for a new head unit, and basically it seems to me that the best choices are on Crutchfield. I've found a dozen or so double let din hu's that fit with my alpine system, and retain the steering wheel controls. It just they all be about $400 to $800 or more...

OP
OP
Dbenson32

Dbenson32

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Ram 1500 TRX
Engine
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I got a standard radio in my '09,but the uconnect stuff was never installed, so no Bluetooth or anything like that. I've been looking around for a new head unit, and basically it seems to me that the best choices are on Crutchfield. I've found a dozen or so double let din hu's that fit with my alpine system, and retain the steering wheel controls. It just they all be about $400 to $800 or more...

I always had a hard time justifying that price to replace what should be half way decent in the first place.

Android looking better and better as I used most of today to do some in depth research on my options.

jssmith76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, I hear you about the cost. I really don't want to spend that much for a new radio. I'm almost willing to to accept using my phone for directions and music. One good thing my stock radio has is that auxiliary input... Other than that, it probably wound have been gone already!

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I hated the Mygig in my 09. The damn USB drive would never save all my songs and when it did some wouldn't play.

I replaced it with a Pioneer double din. I really only wanted to read my USB drive.
It's been great, also added a back up camera too.

Seraphim38

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 gas
Many of the big name aftermarket double din head units have had problems with android connections. If you read Amazon reviews for popular head units, Kenwood and Alpine have had problems, and even once in a while there is an issue with the Pioneers, but the Pioneer NEXs appear to have fixed all that. I am very close to ordering a new one and haven't decided which model to get yet, and yes I cringe at how much they are, as well.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Yeah, the pioneer app radio it pretty good with android. But you are right, most only work will with apple ****.

OP
OP
Dbenson32

Dbenson32

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Ram 1500 TRX
Engine
I may take the plunge on the one I initially posted. Will report back. Getting married next month so my funds for the next couple of paychecks have been allocated already by my future wife...guess I better get used to it! LOL