Another Newb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hAnKHyll

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Howdy folks!
Just wanted to stop by for the obligatory intro. I bought a 3rd gen Laramie off the lot when they first came out and held onto it for a couple years. Wasnt planning on getting a Ram but i needed a truck and found this '18 SLT for a very good CASH price. From what ive read on here, the 3.6 is the Ryobi of engines and i should just focus more on looks than anything else. Thats cool with me but this truck is so basic, im surprised it didnt come with roll up windows! I thought of getting the interior reupholstered but i started reading more about switching the whole thing out for something electrical. Sounded like a lot of work but lack of power seats kinda sucks. What do yall think? Should I upgrade this thing or just trade it in for something with a little more flash? See yall around.....

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The cheapest power is factory power. The cheapest accessories are factory accessories.

Now that being said if the vehicle is in overall good shape and you can live with the V6 you can spend to get some decent interior upgrades. The Ram I had prior to my current one had full seat covers and a weather tech floor liner. Durable, easy to clean and looked nice. Are you moving the seat so often that having power would be nice? IMO manual is better, one less thing to break in years to come.

OP
OP
H

hAnKHyll

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks!
The seats need to at least be vinyl so I need to see if there’s a kit worth buying . I like the tilt and up and down motion that comes with power seats. The. Blood in my legs don’t circulate too well in these seats. I also don’t care for the chrome bumpers. Are those bumper covers any good or do they look cheap and weird? I’ll probably replace the chrome grill with a black one. I’d like to get this thing one solid color, if possible.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks!
The seats need to at least be vinyl so I need to see if there’s a kit worth buying . I like the tilt and up and down motion that comes with power seats. The. Blood in my legs don’t circulate too well in these seats. I also don’t care for the chrome bumpers. Are those bumper covers any good or do they look cheap and weird? I’ll probably replace the chrome grill with a black one. I’d like to get this thing one solid color, if possible.
Seat covers are pretty simple and inexpensive... even a quality kit won't run you more than a few hundred bucks.

If you are talking about power seats and color-matched bumpers like they are something that's a necessity IMO you are better off selling your truck and buying a higher trim level model than going down the rabbit hole of trying to turn a base model into a Laramie.

Sure you can add power seats and change bumpers but now we are talking thousands of dollars instead of hundreds... and that's money you will never get back if you decide to sell or trade years down the road. Mods add nothing to the value of a vehicle.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would say if you like the truck, and it is serving your purpose keep it. Adding a few simple things like redoing the seats is far cheaper then buying a new truck. If there are some things you really feel the need for, check out some salvage yards where things are far cheaper. I think the biggest upgrade that can be made o the 3rd gens are the headlights. To me the stock headlights just suck..But, on the other hand if you have a lot of money that is burning a hole in your pocket, by all means go out and get what you want. Everyone has opinions, but the bottom line is, it is your truck, and you can do whatever you want to it. Good luck with your "adventure".

OP
OP
H

hAnKHyll

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the replies! Yeah, the headlights are pretty bad but I’m willing to put up with them rather than paying big buck for a decent set. Is there a seat cover that folks around here prefer? I was looking at Katzkin but I’m wondering if there is a comparable brand. This is gonna be a city truck so I’m not worried about power but I am wondering if it can haul my car to the track now. And yes, I think I am trying to turn this thing into a Laramie. I really like the look of a solid color vehicle. I hate chrome bumpers.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
WELCOME

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Only thing I can recommend is seat covers. Rough Country neoprene full front and back set are $200 delivered to your door. Rough Country may not market the best suspension parts but their seat covers are outstanding. I’ve had a set almost five years and they have held up flawlessly. Takes a minute to put them on and adjust them but taking them off to wash them is pretty simple and quick. Machine washable and air dry without issue. They only come in black but for bargain seat covers they are great.

ANGLICO

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
Welcome to the forum. I have a 30 year old Dakota I drive.... I wish it had "roll up" windows. The only thing power on it are the locks and windows. And I keep replacing the darnd motors on the windows (by keep replacing - I mean every couple of years.....).

Good luck on your project.