Any RAM reps here? New truck was stolen at the dealership

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gardenfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Your insurance would be your contact, and they won't give you a new truck unless it was written off. If your truck is not damaged then that is where it will end, somebody has to pay for you to get a new truck, if the keys were stolen from the dealership, then their insurance company and yours would figure it out and fix any damage if it occured.

It sucks, but nobody would be able to afford insurance if they bought people new trucks in these situations. Be happy you got it back, we have done quite a few stolen recoveries lately and a lot of times the trucks are wrecked pretty bad.

OP
OP
Ol' Dirty

Ol' Dirty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did this happen at AutoNation Chrysler Dodge in Spring?

My friend works there and he said someone stole a first gen SRT8 Jeep that was in for service work.. The power was out so the camera's didn't catch anything..

Yes, sir. Same place. Does he know the douche that took my truck?

Sorry for the late reply, I just spent a really long weekend with the Mrs. and our little man. You know, the real stuff that matters.

Anyway, I ended up taking a little hit on depreciation and traded in the stolen truck for a new one. In the end I'll rationalize it as if it was stolen out of my driveway and I paid a deductible but in return we got a brand new truck.

I totally understand the people that say my reactions were over the top and too emotional. I can see that. In all likelihood there probably wasn't anything dramatically wrong with the truck, but after spending a ton of money on a new one I basically bought some peace of mind.

I spent quite a bit of time with a money hungry SOB of a lawyer regarding the situation. He told me that if there was any money in it then he would be all over it, but I didn't have a leg to stand on. In his words this is a certain case of negligence but in a negligence case you have to be able to prove a loss. That would mean that I would have to tow the truck to a different dealer and pay them to inspect the truck. There is no cheap way to inspect the innards of the engine and trans so there would be a near certainty that the inspection would reveal no apparent damage, therefore no loss could be levied against the dealership. So I didn't have a case. He said it would be a cost/benefit analysis to see how much money I wanted to spend to give them a little headache. In the end I spent the lawyer money to get into a new truck.

So at the end of this brief ordeal I paid a little to get a new truck. I'm also certain that they lied to me through the whole thing. Two days after the incident few people in the dealership had even heard about it. In my line of work every swinging ***** in the neighborhood would have been brought before the old man and interrogated as to find out what happened. We know they know.

iRamYou

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I totally understand the people that say my reactions were over the top and too emotional. I can see that. In all likelihood there probably wasn't anything dramatically wrong with the truck, but after spending a ton of money on a new one I basically bought some peace of mind.

Glad you were able to get some piece of mind out of the whole situation, but I am kind of surprised you dropped all that coin into a new ride with nothing definitive being wrong with the old one. I am even more surprised that you worked with the same dealership that you thought was being deceitful (I am assuming you did).

Sitedrifter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can't imagine why someone would think Chrysler is going to assist the owner. The truck was stolen under the care of the dealer, not Chrysler. With that, if the dealer fixed everything (sounds like nothing but cleaning needed to be done) and the truck looks and drives like new then take it and move on. You are driving yourself crazy because you feel violated and need to put blame one someone. That someone is not the dealership because they did not do this, rather thieves broke into their service area, broken open the lock box and used the keys to steal vehicles. At most the dealer could be held liable for the lack of securing the keys properly. But you need an attorney to get into that. I think the one posted who said to try and get a lifetime warranty from the dealer is spot on as that would be the best I think you could imagine for. Good luck!

Sitedrifter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow late response from me. Glad you got a new truck!! Enjoy it!

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Did you get the same truck or slightly different?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Cheyenne14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Glad you got a new truck! I would not want the stolen truck either.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Yes, sir. Same place. Does he know the douche that took my truck?

Sorry for the late reply, I just spent a really long weekend with the Mrs. and our little man. You know, the real stuff that matters.

No, he doesn't know.

He said they drove your truck in the pasture behind the dealership.
Nothing really the dealership could do he said, it would be just like if somebody stole from your drive way.

Glad you got a new truck though.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i know if i stole a truck and got it stuck i'd be working it pretty hard trying to get out. i wouldn't screw around very long with the risk of getting caught but the time i did i know it would be full throttle the entire time and i wouldn't be caring about any possible damage. hell when i get my own truck stuck i work it pretty hard

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nowadays, with an OEM truck, there's not much a thief can do in the mud that most 'good Ol boys' don't do themselves on a regular basis, over and over again. Rev limiters, shifting restraints,, Among other reasons, these all came into existence to reduce '''abuse''', regardless of who's behind the wheel.

(Look at it this way,,, Company trucks,,, They are not equipped any different than the ones individuals buy. Employees will dog the **** out of 'em, and a single joy ride out in the pasture wouldn't even begin to phase the truck)
But,,, it's over now,,, The OP has a few more gray hairs,,,, He's spent a lot of time,, experienced a lot of frustration,,, spent some (more) money, and ended up with another truck with 900 less miles than the last one,,,.

Most of that could have been avoided, but again, to each their own.

OP
OP
Ol' Dirty

Ol' Dirty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No, he doesn't know.

He said they drove your truck in the pasture behind the dealership.
Nothing really the dealership could do he said, it would be just like if somebody stole from your drive way.

Glad you got a new truck though.

This is indeed a small world. Thank you for your help, GP.

djjab73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would get something out of it for sure, if not an inside job well then there employees left your keys in it witch means they didn't do there job of making sure it was safe and secure while they had it. The lifetime oil changes seems like something i'd go after.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would get something out of it for sure, if not an inside job well then there employees left your keys in it witch means they didn't do there job of making sure it was safe and secure while they had it. The lifetime oil changes seems like something i'd go after.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't... I've seen the "work" they do on the "free" oil changes. You'd be better off having the 16yo blind kid at Jiffy Lube change your oil... :puke:

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I haven't dealt with that dealer, but demontrond in the woodlands/conroe is fantastic. That's where Matt at Moe's Performance sends everyone to get alignments and what not.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
i tried really hard to not reply to this thread and to keep my opinion to myself but wow.all that time ,effort,and money because your truck got stuck in the mud? and no depreciation because no insurance report?again wow.what do you drive if it snows or rains? its mind boggling.i'm not trying to be a **** but wow.