Anybody ever run into problems offroad with their front diffs being too low?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum
Hey all, so im really looking to get into trail exploring more, and the front diff on my Ram 2500 sits pretty low to the ground. I plan to put 33s on it so that'll buy me a little more clearance, but has anyone run into problems with it not clearing something? Also, how much exterior abuse can those front end parts take from forces like snow and mud?

Thanx all

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Well my d44 drags in the sand when I start to bog down. Your d60 is a little bit bigger but you also said you're going with 33s where as I'm still on stock 245s. Unless you're doing some more serious offroading you should be ok for the most part. And in my experience at least the front end party's are a lot more durable than they look. Mine get dragged through the sand in the summer and snow in winter

OP
OP
L

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum
Well my d44 drags in the sand when I start to bog down. Your d60 is a little bit bigger but you also said you're going with 33s where as I'm still on stock 245s. Unless you're doing some more serious offroading you should be ok for the most part. And in my experience at least the front end party's are a lot more durable than they look. Mine get dragged through the sand in the summer and snow in winter
Definitely not too serious. Hopefully just running some gentle trails to ease into it.

newrammer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 v8 magnum
I've got 33 1/2's on my 2500 and it brought it up quite a bit so I stopped worrying about what you are, I trail ride mine at least once a week... of course I'm in Florida where our trails are just mud, water, and old people:crazy:

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Dunno what that is. Ill look into it though.

It was a *********************, not feasible to do for a DD rig, mass amount of fab work, would never pass a VI, I can keep going. I don't worry about the front diff getting banged up to much they are tough. If anything a rock guard for the diff cover.

OP
OP
L

Lethalweapon100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.9 Magnum
It was a *********************, not feasible to do for a DD rig, mass amount of fab work, would never pass a VI, I can keep going. I don't worry about the front diff getting banged up to much they are tough. If anything a rock guard for the diff cover.
Yeah, just looked into it and made quite the face at the prices. Maybe one day when i build a sick rock crawler :eek:ptimistic:

I've road dirtbikes for years before i got this truck, and wrenched on/upgraded them too for a bunch of friends of mine, so i know all about the dangers of a rouge rock. Thanks merc

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Few years ago I had a set of portals dumb idea on my part. Just pick your line as best you can about the best advice I can offer.

Arlucian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry it was a joke, they put portal axles under mercedes unimogs and i think they put them under their g class now if that tells you what were dealing with lol.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
If one wants to get fancy here, there are potal kits that fit the front dana 60 be ready to take it deep up the A** cost wise.

Drop the portal idea and posts.