Anyone have wifi with new 2014 Ram Uconnect?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXd150

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just bought a new 2014 Ram Laramie and am excited about my new truck. I have the premium NAV 8.4N and wanted to activate the wifi on it. What's involved with getting connected?

RandyW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you've got a smartphone already, it would be cheaper (and faster, if you have 4G) to just use that instead. FoxFi let's you use your Android phone as a wireless hotspot. iPhone has similar apps available as well.

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If you've got a smartphone already, it would be cheaper (and faster, if you have 4G) to just use that instead. FoxFi let's you use your Android phone as a wireless hotspot. iPhone has similar apps available as well.

X2. The WiFi through the UConnect is stupid expensive.

AirborneSilva

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an HTC One phone and with my carrier (Verizon), my phone can be used as a hot spot (it's included in my plan so I don't pay extra for it).

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
All of this. UConnect uses Sprint, btw. And their service/internet speeds SUCK. Not worth the money.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I'm not aware of any app that allows it in older phones, I believe it has to have hardware to make it work but I've been wrong ONCE before.

Having a Wi-Fi hotspot built in is nice, but like others said, it'd be better to use your smartphone if it's capable of it. If it's not, it may be cheaper and more convenient to upgrade seeing that you can use it anywhere and not just in the truck.

Chris

Last edited:

myoung84

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yep, iPhone 5 and up have hotspot technology. I'm not aware of any app that allows it in older phones, seeing it has to have hardware to make it work.

Having a Wi-Fi hotspot built in is nice, but like others said, it'd be better to use your smartphone if it's capable of it. If it's not, it may be cheaper and more convenient to upgrade seeing that you can use it anywhere and not just in the truck.

Chris

Just about any smart phone with WiFi can be a hot spot. It's all in the software, nothing to do with hardware. I haven't owned an iPhone in a long time but after jail-breaking my old iPhone 3GS, I was able to get free tethering. Been using Androids ever since and have always had tethering...

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
All I know is it wasn't native to my phones until I believe the 5, but the 4s may have had it. Hard to remember two years back... :)

RamExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
All iPhones have hotspot capabilities it just depends on your cellular plan having the feature. Still cheaper than paying a 2nd company access to WiFi only in your truck. And Sprint is one of the worst coverage for data so not good news there.

edit- apparently I'm third to point that out. i guess i type slow! Don't pay for it in your truck unless Sprint has GREAT coverage in your area and you work out of it all day! (even then its still not worth it)

Arctic-Rodz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Now if only the truck could receive wifi connection and use my Note 3 to connect my radio to the Internet to update weather and traffic info that would be great

RandyW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just an FYI, if you have Verizon, you don't need their "tethering" service to do this. They charge you extra for using your phone as a hotspot. If you download/purchase FoxFi (I think it's like $4 for the app), you can have a hotspot for free. It just uses your phones Internet. I still have an unlimited data plan (that is no longer offered), so just keep an eye on your usage if you don't have unlimited data.

OP
OP
T

TXd150

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got it activated just to try it out. My phone service is with Boost (sprint) and I tried to run those apps. They are disabled on my phone (samsung galaxy S3), must be blocked by sprint.

tprice9427

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All of this. UConnect uses Sprint, btw. And their service/internet speeds SUCK. Not worth the money.

Agree!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2
2013/Big Horn/SLT/V8/Hemi/5.7
Brake controller/hard trifold bed cover/ pin stripped/chrome mirror and window pillars

thrashie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Laramie
Engine
6.7l cummins turbo diesel
rooting my S4 and a patch gave me free hotspot on my phone..

now the question is, how do I get my truck to use my phones wifi?

thrashie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Laramie
Engine
6.7l cummins turbo diesel

APPS THAT ARE MADE FOR THE ROAD AHEAD

Via Mobile makes it easy to enjoy your favorite apps and stay focused on driving. It uses your smartphone's data plan to access Uconnect® System-enabled apps, which you control with your touchscreen or steering wheel audio controls. These apps include:

pandora and that stuff (yeah I know they are not out yet).

RamExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
you connect your phone to your radio with Bluetooth and that allows you to control apps and music. That's all I know don't have one of the fancy radios i ripped out my UC3 and put in an aftermarket one