Anyone running without engine cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is the 5.7 engine cover important for performance? Or can you run without? Just curious if running without will keep engine temps down.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is the 5.7 engine cover important for performance? Or can you run without? Just curious if running without will keep engine temps down.
My '21 never came with the cover.

My '07 Tundra had one and all it did was provide shelter for rodents to build their houses.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You really only care about covers if an engine is air cooled. Removing covers can mess with how the air flows around the cooling fins.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
They’re meant for owners who leave their hood open in direct SUNLIGHT to protect engine components from UV radiation.

They also serve a dual function as a nesting cover for rodents seeking shelter from the elements on cold nights.

TGoedde

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I noticed mine has a nice section chewed away too. Little ******* bedded into the passenger side framing too. I'm going to just remove it and see how things run. Unlikely there will be any differnce other than maybe hearing the intake a bit more.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Maybe they force airflow up and over to the backside?
They're decorative on these trucks. There's really no benefit to having air flow on a liquid cooled engine. The only air flow that's needed is through the radiator. I would even argue that covers on a liquid cooled engine would help to hold heat in if anything.

Green_Manalishi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I noticed mine has a nice section chewed away too. Little ******* bedded into the passenger side framing too. I'm going to just remove it and see how things run. Unlikely there will be any differnce other than maybe hearing the intake a bit more.
Toss a couple of pieces of Tomcat under the hood.

TGoedde

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They're decorative on these trucks. There's really no benefit to having air flow on a liquid cooled engine. The only air flow that's needed is through the radiator. I would even argue that covers on a liquid cooled engine would help to hold heat in if anything.
Maybe limits a bit of throttle noise? I'm taking mine off all the same. Looks better too.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Maybe limits a bit of throttle noise? I'm taking mine off all the same. Looks better too.
Maybe, but I doubt it would be enough to notice if so. I don't have a 4th gen anymore to test that, but on our 5th gen I didn't notice any difference in throttle "noise" when we were running the truck without an engine cover.

FraserBoy3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Removed mine a while ago, because it chaffed the Heater Core lines, and cause a leak.
Left it off, and Air Inlet Temp dropped 10 degrees, do get about 0.2mpg better. Because of lower AIT.
No noticeable change in cabin noise.

Reactions: TC

Marine Les

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001/2018
Engine
5.9 cummins/3.6 Pentastar
I removed the cover on my 2018 3.6 Pentastar because it made changing the oil filter less of a problem. No issues.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I took mine off to save weight and get better gas mileage
Mine is off for better aerodynamics....under the hood ;)

But seriously, it keeps heat in, fosters critters to migrate there and call your engine their home, and to me personally, it looks out of place.

I took the cover off my 19' the day I bought it new. My new Warlock didn't come with one, and I'm happy about it because it too would have been a shelf warmer.