ARH Headers leaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I had my ARH headers installed for over 2 years and recently noticed something that sounded like a small leak coming from front. Yesterday I got my transmission fluid changed and asked the guy to have a look/listen at it.

It's tire season up here so he didn't have time to look at it for very long, but with his helper chocking the exhaust he clearly heard a leak coming from the top gasket area on the driver side.

When I did the install I used Remflex gaskets and the provided ARH bolts, torqued the ones I could and the others by feel. I cycled the truck a couple of times putting a few hundreds km and tighten all bolts again (iirc only 1 barely moved)

Now, some people swear by Remflex and others say they had issue with them blowing... What other gasket would you guys recommend? I see lots of Felpro being mentioned, but what about the OEM 6.1 ones?

Also any recommendation for bolts? I'd prefer not going with Stage 8

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I used the OEM 6.1s on my JBAs. I had 2 bolts back out and had 0 leaks. Even the guy that put them on was shocked they didn't leak....

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m pretty sure I have OEM gaskets on mine. Bought my stuff from Matt @ Moe’s.

No problems in 4-5 years.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Weld may have split from stress. If you ever leave it in below freezing temps for a long period, remote start it and watch around the primary flange to see where it’s escaping.

ARH has top notch quality, so more than likely it’s from the gasket.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've also got the 6.1 gaskets on my ARH's and have not had any problems. I've also seen where a lot of people have recommended the Remflex but your the first one that I've heard of that has had problems. Sorry for your problems hope it's a relativity easy fix.
Jay

OP
OP
bassheadhemi

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
are those the 6.1 gasket?

5038098AA
5038099AA

If it's only the gasket I guess I can reuse the bolts? Or get a set of these?

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not sure on the part number but I just used the bolts that came with the headers and like you checked them after about 500 miles then again after another 1000. I think they should be fine to use again. Maybe Wild One can help you with the part numbers.
Jay

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Not sure on the part number but I just used the bolts that came with the headers and like you checked them after about 500 miles then again after another 1000. I think they should be fine to use again. Maybe Wildman can help you with the part numbers.
Jay

Not me Jay,i swear by Remflex gaskets,lol. Matt Fikac or Benny at AllMopar or whatever he calls his place of work,should be able to tell you if those are the 6.1 gaskets. If there's nothing wrong with the bolts,i'd re use them,you can buy new ones if you want,but if the ones you have are still good and not galled or cross threaded i'd just throw some good quality anti-seaze on them and run them back in.Supposedly Felpro makes a hell'va good gasket for the 5.7's now,but I haven't looked into them yet.

OP
OP
bassheadhemi

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
thanks, but I'm trying to see if I can get them locally, being in Canada with shipping, exchange rate and taxes those will cost me probably over 100$

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Why not throw a set of Remflex gaskets back in,you're the first one I've ran into who had issues with them.Which makes me wonder if you didn't bend or kink them on initial install.They don't like being bent or kinked and that's usually the only issue I've seen guys have problems with.

OP
OP
bassheadhemi

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok good, that's where I found the part#, usually my local dealer is 15-20% less than the site so it should come up to 65$ tax in

Why not throw a set of Remflex gaskets back in,you're the first one I've ran into who had issues with them.Which makes me wonder if you didn't bend or kink them on initial install.They don't like being bent or kinked and that's usually the only issue I've seen guys have problems with.

100% positive nothing was bent or kinked, but something is odd that I'll admit since that gasket probably seen engine that has much more exhaust pressure and are holding up.

I just found a speed shop not too far from me that is a ARH authorized reseller, so I'll see with them and hope it's just the gasket.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Ok good, that's where I found the part#, usually my local dealer is 15-20% less than the site so it should come up to 65$ tax in

100% positive nothing was bent or kinked, but something is odd that I'll admit since that gasket probably seen engine that has much more exhaust pressure and are holding up.

I just found a speed shop not too far from me that is a ARH authorized reseller, so I'll see with them and hope it's just the gasket.

My JBA's have been on for 4 years on my nitrous toy and I've never had an issue with the Remflex gaskets,and that includes a couple nitrous back fires that blew out the 3 bolt JBA collecter gaskets,which I've since switched over to Remflex collector gaskets. Personally I've never seen anybody having an issue with Remflex gaskets on a Hemi except you,lol.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Did you confirm that the gasket is indeed blown out? Ive never had a remflex blow out... even on my turbo LS which sees 2:1 on the hotside (gasket) which Im regularly boosting to 12-15psi so the remflex sees up to 30psi of super hot pre turbo exhaust. I've also put them on my stock manifolds. I tried the stock style felpros and they are the same as stock... essentially a MLS style gasket on the head side with a super thin 1/16" graphite gasket rivited to the MLS side which is also the heat shield.

Have you tried tightening the bolts more? That bolt might have backed out more? Did you go from the center out to the recommended 21ftlbs?

Only other thing I can think of if the bolts are tight and the gasket isn't blown is that the header flange has warped.

m25443

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Black Betty may be on the right track. I had a set of headers on a truck and swore I could hear a leak where they attached to the heads. I had the headers resurface and machined 100% flat, put on a high end gasket, and still heard the ticking noise. Bottom line - It wasn't leaking. It was just a pinging that happens with the thinner tube of headers as opposed to cast iron manifolds.

I'd look for some visible indicator that it is truly a leak before I spent too much time/money chasing a fix.

My $0.02

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Good point M25543, slipped my mind about the header tube thickness sounding like a leak. Thin wall long tubes are very prone to it but most LT headers have a “ting” to them which some believe is a leak when it’s not. I want to say I heard more exhaust noise even with my shorties as well so unless you can verify a blown gasket or some carbon trails I would be looking at other reasons.

OP
OP
bassheadhemi

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well guys, I'm glad to say that you were right! The Remflex gasket and ARH headers are fine on my truck, speed shop couldn't find any leak.

I guess the transmission shop never had a car/truck with headers and a quiet exhaust before, but the fact that they blocked the exit to confirm that it was a leak is what lead me to believed them... I now have a set of 6.1 gasket and new bolts for the buyer of the headers if the wife managed to convince me to trade it in for a Wrangler...

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well guys, I'm glad to say that you were right! The Remflex gasket and ARH headers are fine on my truck, speed shop couldn't find any leak.

I guess the transmission shop never had a car/truck with headers and a quiet exhaust before, but the fact that they blocked the exit to confirm that it was a leak is what lead me to believed them... I now have a set of 6.1 gasket and new bolts for the buyer of the headers if the wife managed to convince me to trade it in for a Wrangler...
I have ARH and remflex gaskets. My truck always sounds like it has a faint exhaust leak. It’s just the exhaust gases traveling through the thin wall headers. Keep the truck. No need to trade it in!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevo5441