Auto highbeams not working right after LED and HID install in OE projectors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys, I pretty much can’t no longer run with my auto highbeams on anymore because since my new lights are brighter now, and since they reflect more off the highway signs/highway reflectors and bridge/guardrail reflectors, it fools the system into thinking those signs and such are oncoming cars coming at me and it dims the lights all the time.

I’ve been reading a little about that Alpha OBD thing, and a supposed particular setting in there that it lets you enable, is a setting for HID/LED headlights. I guess I don’t know what this setting is for, or what it does, but is it possible that it may recalibrate my highbeam sensor’s sensitivity to not dim the lights all the time with these brighter lights?

I guess I don’t need my auto highbeams, and would prefer my much better lighting over that but, I’m just strictly curious if this can be re-calibrated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Changing your lows to hid in alphaobd gives you the ability to only have to use the ballast instead of having to also a relay harness. For highs and leds I'm not exactly sure what it does. I added highs and changed the setting to led with alphaobd before testing the difference so I can't say for sure what it does.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Changing your lows to hid in alphaobd gives you the ability to only have to use the ballast instead of having to also a relay harness. For highs and leds I'm not exactly sure what it does. I added highs and changed the setting to led with alphaobd before testing the difference so I can't say for sure what it does.

Does your truck have auto highbeams?

I guess as far as my new HID’s go, it’s good to know I don’t need to change that setting since my kit cane with all the stuff to run them.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
No I don't but a few others have had a similar issue once they upgraded there headlights. I'm wondering if you "tinted" the sensor if it would make it less sensitive to your new set up

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No I don't but a few others have had a similar issue once they upgraded there headlights. I'm wondering if you "tinted" the sensor if it would make it less sensitive to your new set up

Hmm, that sounds like a pretty good idea. I wonder how that sensor is mounted to the windshield. I guess if I went that route I would start off with some very light window tint, like the lightest they sell maybe?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
That's kinda what I was thinking, just some window tint

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's kinda what I was thinking, just some window tint

I’ll have to look into that. Cuz ****, even before I upgraded to HID’s and LED’s, I had some fairly bright Sylvania ZXE’s in there that were still incandescent but even then would still cause my auto-dim to activate from reflecting off trees and terrain on county roads, or off houses and taillight reflectors sometimes from parked cars on residential streets. Not near as bad now, but the problem was still there.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Hey guys, I pretty much can’t no longer run with my auto highbeams on anymore because since my new lights are brighter now, and since they reflect more off the highway signs/highway reflectors and bridge/guardrail reflectors, it fools the system into thinking those signs and such are oncoming cars coming at me and it dims the lights all the time.

I’ve been reading a little about that Alpha OBD thing, and a supposed particular setting in there that it lets you enable, is a setting for HID/LED headlights. I guess I don’t know what this setting is for, or what it does, but is it possible that it may recalibrate my highbeam sensor’s sensitivity to not dim the lights all the time with these brighter lights?

I guess I don’t need my auto highbeams, and would prefer my much better lighting over that but, I’m just strictly curious if this can be re-calibrated.

You need to have that sensor for the autohigh beams calibrated for light sensitivity. It can be done in AlfaOBD but I don't have the foggiest on how to reach our goals yet. I'm dealing with the same thing. For more I turned off the auto function in my HU.

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why do you have so much light reflecting off signs? I have HID in factory projectors and after adjusting my headlights the cutoff is low enough not to blind oncoming traffic and I don’t get that reflection back off signs like that.
I don’t have auto high lights but seems to me the lows are adjusted too high.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why do you have so much light reflecting off signs? I have HID in factory projectors and after adjusting my headlights the cutoff is low enough not to blind oncoming traffic and I don’t get that reflection back off signs like that.
I don’t have auto high lights but seems to me the lows are adjusted too high.

Even though the lowbeams stay on when the brights are on, I don’t think my HID lowbeams have all that much to do with the problem , I think it’s more the brightness of my LED highbeams. And I don’t imagine I’m blinding anyone because I’ve never gotten the highbeam-flash since installing my new lights.

And I hardly think the headlights are adjusted too high as they are still at factory setting.

But again, my problem is with the auto highbeams dimming my lights prematurely and for sign reflection because they are much brighter now, making the sensor think there’s oncoming traffic coming at me when there isn’t.

ETO-

Unless you have the auto highbeams you’re really not gonna know how much aiming it might take, if any, to reduce the reflection off road signs to keep my highbeam sensor from thinking signs are cars.

Quite frankly I really didn’t even think the reflection was that bad enough either to cause this, but it does.

Last edited:

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My stock headlights turn off the auto high beams from road sign reflections as well. System is just really sensitive at least mine is.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My stock headlights turn off the auto high beams from road sign reflections as well. System is just really sensitive at least mine is.

You mean with just stock bulbs? I didn’t even have my truck 2 weeks when I yanked the stock bulbs out of the headlights and fog lights, and replaced all them with those Sylvania ZXE’s so I have no idea how everything stock was. As I said, I didn’t have much problem out on the highway so much except for country roads and streets with a lot of tree cover.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You mean with just stock bulbs? I didn’t even have my truck 2 weeks when I yanked the stock bulbs out of the headlights and fog lights, and replaced all them with those Sylvania ZXE’s so I have no idea how everything stock was. As I said, I didn’t have much problem out on the highway so much except for country roads and streets with a lot of tree cover.

Yes stock bulbs. Road to my house is unlit for a couple km and they kick out a lot if i try to use them. Actually had a deer pop out in front of me and that kicked them out. Went back to manual after that.

Last edited:

jerboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ram 1500
Engine
can you retrofit auto dimming headlights on a 2016 sport?

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
can you retrofit auto dimming headlights on a 2016 sport?

I don’t see why not. With that Alpha OBD thing you can pretty much do anything. You can even add things that weren’t even intended for your vehicle like for example, if you wanted that special factory OEM LED high-mount brake light assembly that has the camera in it that’s only available to the 3/4-tons and one-tons, you can add that to a half-ton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
I don’t see why not. With that Alpha OBD thing you can pretty much do anything. You can even add things that weren’t even intended for your vehicle like for example, if you wanted that special factory OEM LED high-mount brake light assembly that has the camera in it that’s only available to the 3/4-tons and one-tons, you can add that to a half-ton.

I just stopped using auto highbeams all together couldn't get it to function right. Hell with it.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just stopped using auto highbeams all together couldn't get it to function right. Hell with it.

Mine works, just not as good as I’d like it to. Course then again, it actually worked pretty decent back when the truck was still new when everything was all stock and even after I first upgraded my headlight bulbs from the stock ones to the Sylvania Halogen ZxE’s. Then after that, upgrading to the HID lowbeam system and especially the LED highbeam system I have now is when my auto highbeams started turning off and on so much.